Virgin Media traffic management

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by colenum, May 6, 2008.

  1. colenum

    colenum Guest

    I am aware of the traffic management policy that Virgin Media uses. I
    have a Size M connection (2Mb) and it is limited to 1Mb for 5hrs if
    more than 300MB are downloaded between 4pm to 9pm.

    http://www.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.php

    Therfore in theory, with a 2Mb connection it will take 20 minutes to
    download 300MB so I should be able to start a large download after
    about 8:45pm and ensure I do not go over the 300MB limit before 9pm.

    However, I have noticed that my connection is still being limited
    after 9pm.

    Can anybody explain why this is, and if possible, could you try it
    yourself and see if Virgin Media are doing what they say the are
    doing.

    Many thanks,

    Martin

    colenum, May 6, 2008

  2. colenum

    mymail Guest

    Martin VM and their high end staff are well known for lying
    and you can bet your life they are not doing what they say they are
    doing which is why many of us are leaving ,I am away from VM on the
    22nd of next month and it cannot come quick enough .

    mymail, May 6, 2008

  3. colenum

    Bob Eager Guest

    Hmm.

    Bob Eager, May 6, 2008
  4. colenum

    colenum Guest

    I'm sorry to hear that but I have not had any problems with the
    quailty of service from VM, and I am not too bothered about the
    traffic management (unlimited was 633GB per month on my 2Mb connection
    and now it's 567GB per month with traffic management). However, if it
    turns out that what they advertise is not true, I will take the matter
    further.

    colenum, May 6, 2008
  5. colenum

    Woody Guest

    I would have thought that obvious. It depends on the start time and the
    size of the download irrespective of when it finishes.

    Clearly it doesn't compare amount downloaded against a clock in real
    time.

    Woody, May 6, 2008
  6. colenum

    naza Guest

    I will take the matter
    Time to take the matter forward. Its is theoretically impossible for
    you to download more than 300mb in 15mins. If actual download is
    2048kbps then you will download at 256kb/s, for 15mins that around
    250mb. That's theoretical, if you download at an average or sustained
    rate for the whole time. If you download of torrents then unlikely you
    will have been downloading at a sustained rate.
    On their side though, you may have well clocked up that remain 50mb in
    the peak hours from browsing, youtube and listening the on-line radio.
    If the include you download limit as both upload and download then,
    you would be looking at 280mb in 15mins, theoretically speaking.
    that's with a download rate of 2048kbps and upload of 448kbps.

    naza, May 6, 2008
  7. colenum

    Flyer Guest

    Because once STM kicks in, it doesn't stop until it finishes, ie 5 hrs after
    starting.
    Start the d/l after 9, then there's no problem ;-)

    As an aside, according to Alex Brown, VM have requested, in the next code
    update for their UBR's, that STM finish at its appointed time,, ie 9pm,
    regardless of when it kicks in.

    Mind you, with the possibility of extended STM around the corner (from 11am,
    if you're not already aware), I daresay a few folk might just say enough is
    enough.

    P.

    Flyer, May 6, 2008
  8. colenum

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 6 May 2008 11:26:51 -0700 (PDT), colenum wrote:

    As if there wan't enough of this repeating and repeating in the VM
    300 and all the overheads and you really think it works?
    It doesn't terminate at 9pm it terminates 5 hours after the trigger, so
    IIRC and it hasn't bothered me and I don't care 9PM (0859) + 5hrs is by
    my guess 2AM.

    Read the many and repeated and endless posts explaining this in the VM
    groups. If that's wrong and just in case it wasn't mentioned before,

    As if there wan't enough of this repeating and repeating in the VM
    groups <groan>

    Read the many and repeated and endless posts explaining this in the VM
    groups.
    Me

    why?, May 6, 2008
  9. colenum

    Rick Guest

  10. colenum

    english_dude Guest

    english_dude, May 7, 2008
  11. colenum

    Rich Guest

    On Tue, 6 May 2008 11:26:51 -0700 (PDT), colenum

    What really gets me is that the so called top 3% of so called abusers
    will just get hacked modems to do the downloading instead.

    Hell you can buy one from ebay for about £30.00 - get a mac address
    from one of the many internet forums and download all you want. Plus
    why stop at one modem, just get 2 and a dual WAN and download at 100
    meg a second.

    Then your capped but can still download at 10 meg - or just change MAC
    codes and get the full 100 Meg again!

    Its just an excuse. How long before they offer a premium version with
    unlimited download speeds.

    Rich - 100% legal modem - but wondering why I bother!

    Rich, May 7, 2008
  12. colenum

    why? Guest

    x-post trimmed to 24HSHD.

    The only bit of the OP you included was none of it :) you did get the
    OPs name and 1 blank line :)

    Sadly the reason given IIRC is the silly accounting system won't allow 2
    accounts at 1 address. Would be nice on 1 of those WAN load balance
    routers.
    There was an excellent post in then then BY groups from tech support
    about this. Wish I could find it again. But it's far from simple as a
    hacked modem. There was all sorts of stuff about reprogramming the
    network kit, needing an admin person, access to secure areas, fiddle
    with the account info, the UBR settings to allow 100Mbps and DOCSIS 3
    modem which may not even work with current UBRs.
    The 20Mbps is cut to 5Mbps (it appears), paying for 20 and getting
    limited to 1/4 of that if d/ling too much.
    Ummm... that's what I had for years. The unlimited package and paying
    the premium rate for it. Now it's still unlimited (volume) , can be
    limited (bandwidth managed stm) if I get a Linux CD (sometimes an x32
    and x64 version both needed) or a couple of VMs / ISO's from MS and
    still paying top rate.
    Me

    why?, May 7, 2008