    Stickems. Guest

    Virgin Media Internet connection in Sussex is down and has been for a few
    hours. email is still working. Anyone know what's up?

    Stickems., Feb 3, 2008

  2. Stickems.

    Stickems. Guest

    Problem sorted. It was the bug ridden Microsoft IE7. The proxy settings
    needed to be restored.

    Stickems., Feb 3, 2008

  3. Stickems.

    meerkat Guest

    Bookmark (Favourites) this site S.
    http://gps.virgin.net/service-announcements/status?category=portal&app=status

    On NTL I have Broadband Medic to help me solve problems.
    Don`t know if VM have that ?.
    Generally they say...Unplug modem power for 10 secs, replug and
    wait 2 minutes.
    Then try again.

    bw..

    meerkat, Feb 3, 2008
  4. Stickems.

    Stickems. Guest

    Not of use if your browser is not working.

    Stickems., Feb 3, 2008
  5. Stickems.

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter, Feb 3, 2008
  6. Stickems.

    Aardvark Guest

    I was one of the beta testers on that particular software a few years
    ago. As soon as the test was finished I got rid of it.

    Ok for noobs and idiots, but I found it got in the way of sorting out
    things quickly and efficiently.

    Surprised you would feel the need for BBM, mate. I thought you knew more
    about computer stuff than me.

    Aardvark, Feb 3, 2008
  7. Stickems.

    Mike Easter Guest

    When you post like that, there is no context for your remark^1.

    Troubleshooting cable modem connectivity - look at your cable modem and
    see if the lights are right. Determine what isn't working, webbrowser,
    newsgroup access, mail access. Ping your gateway by IP. Determine if
    you can webaccess by IP to aid in DNS issues vs connectivity. A 'what
    is my IP' site which works by IP address is http://209.68.27.16/

    Use a simple IDServe tool to see what is resolving and contactable
    http://www.grc.com/id/idserve.htm

    If you can successfully post to this newsgroup from your ntl IP, you
    have connectivity and nameservice.

    ^1 http://www.anta.net/misc/nnq/nquote.shtml Quoting style in newsgroup
    postings

    Mike Easter, Feb 3, 2008
  8. Stickems.

    Evan Platt Guest

    If it's your browser that's not working but e-mail is, it's likely not
    a ISP issue but a PRBKAC issue.

    Evan Platt, Feb 3, 2008
  9. Stickems.

    why? Guest

    Internet as in how?

    You said email is okay and inferred usenet is okay from your post.

    Do you mean the NTL side?
    Status page, if browsing isn't working oh well, maybe it's NTL to VM
    issue.
    http://status-cable.virginmedia.com/vmstatus/summary.do
    Ticket Number Status Description Customers Affected Date Modified

    642265 Updated Loss of TV & Internet - BD20,BD21 Keighley
    Broadband Internet, Digital TV 03/02/2008 14:39

    642149 Opened Loss of Webmail and Selfcare service nationally
    Broadband Internet 02/02/2008 20:48

    641824 Updated Loss of TV and Internet - Carnoustie DD7
    Broadband Internet, Digital TV 02/02/2008 09:41

    640079 Updated Delay in receiving emails - National
    Broadband Internet 02/02/2008 08:09

    641780 Updated Loss of DTV & BBI Luton LU2
    Broadband Internet, Analogue TV, Digital TV 01/02/2008 23:41

    BTW do you know of an NTL version of this page?
    http://help2.virginmedia.com/help/getContent.jspx?page=h_internet_advanced_dns

    Me

    why?, Feb 3, 2008
  10. Stickems.

    Mike Easter Guest

    http://help2.virginmedia.com/help/getContent.jspx?page=h_internet_advanced_dns

    If you go in one front door here
    http://www.virginmedia.com/help/index.php -- it has a router function
    called "Are you in the right place? Are you an ex-blueyonder, ntl or
    virgin.net but in the wrong place? Re-route yourself here."

    If you use your link above and 'back it up' a little bit by trimming off
    the path back to help/ -- you are redirected to
    http://help2.virginmedia.com/help/getContent.jspx?page=h_homepage which
    also has a re-route function on the R

    Then you can use whatever pathways you used to get to
    internet_advanced_dns from there. I guess.

    Mike Easter, Feb 3, 2008
  11. Stickems.

    meerkat Guest

    ..
    I know a bit, but I`m dead lazy
    I just press the BM button, and let it tell me to unhook my
    modem etc etc. <G>.
    bw..

    meerkat, Feb 3, 2008
  12. Stickems.

    Aardvark Guest

    I congratulate you on your very Christian and charitable attitude mate :)

    Aardvark, Feb 3, 2008
  13. Stickems.

    Pennywise Guest

    The first time I started a PC it told me to "hit any key to continue"
    I looked for the any Key :))

    Pennywise, Feb 3, 2008
  14. Stickems.

    meerkat Guest

    Now I know where you got your nick, P`enny key`wise.
    %> ) Oh for the `good old days` %> )

    meerkat, Feb 3, 2008
  15. Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 3, 2008
  16. Stickems.

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 08:09:47 -0800, Mike Easter wrote:

    Thanks, however :)
    That's a really horrible page and idea, always try to avoid it.
    That link in itself was bad enough when it first changed, all the ex BY
    links broke, is missing a simple auto redirection better yet according
    to netcraft the vm com site is Linux Apache, so not even an mod_rewrite
    was done.

    Was hoping an NTL'er would know as the link I posted is only good for ex
    Blueyonder users, ip to DNS regional location. Don't even know if NTL
    had a similar page.

    The whole ex-this-ISP and ex-the-other-ISP melted into virginmedia.com
    is a mess.

    Here is a laugh
    http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/myaccount/index.php?category=portal&app=customerselfcare
    Are you in the right place?
    This content is for ex-ntl customers. If your previous company was
    Virgin.net or Blueyonder find your content here.

    So being ex BY, click on link

    http://www.virginmedia.com/help/check/?category=portal&app=customerselfcare
    select Telewest (BY)

    http://help2.virginmedia.com/help/getContent.jspx?page=services_myaccount
    Are you in the right place?
    Are you an ex-blueyonder, ntl or virgin.net but in the wrong place?
    Re-route yourself here. more

    Hopefully this isn't meant to be a way to go around in circles :)

    Me

    why?, Feb 3, 2008