    downloading or uploading, i`ve set QOS for Voice to 512k as it doesn`t have
    a 768k Setting and if i set it to 1meg it`s no good..

    Linksys WRP200 is my adaptor btw.

    Hairy Dog, Sep 21, 2007

  2. Hairy Dog

    Tim Guest

    Pretty much any codec will give you bad voice quality when faced with
    lots of packet loss.

    Max out your inbound link, and you will get packet loss.

    Sounds like your Qos only does outbound - so will makesure the far end
    will hear you clearly but not do anything for what you hear.

    Tim

    Tim, Sep 21, 2007

  3. That's the very reason I left VirginMedia.
    When they switched NTL, Virgin.net & Blueyonder networks to share some
    of the same data pathways my own voip connection became extremely
    unstable. Packet loss and delays meant I ended up having to use ADSL for
    VOIP while waiting for my 30 day VM cancellation to run it's course.

    Now I have a 24Mb ADSL connection with UKonline (Non-Sky bit of Sky
    broadband) and a PAYG ADSL connection from enta.net for all VOIP traffic
    and to back-up the primary connection should it go screwy.

    When I ran everything on the same service it meant having to remember to
    pause any upload/downloading to prevent call drop-out.
    QOS on my Draytek 2910vg doesn't seem to have much impact even when
    configured manually.

    Pet - www.GymRatZ.co.uk, Sep 21, 2007
  4. Hairy Dog

    Nick Guest

    As a matter of interest, what type of modem did you have when the switch
    over took place?

    Nick, Sep 22, 2007
  5. Hairy Dog

    Pete Guest

    Motorolla SB4200 which was claimed to be good for at least to 30Mbps.

    I did get a replacement sent through before they took the SB4200 off the
    "might need changing" list but had already decided the whole STM and
    expensive calls to India to even report a fault was reason enough to leave.

    Pete

    Pete , Sep 22, 2007