    pete Guest

    Have you contacted them, via their forums possibly? If yes, what is
    their response?

    pete, Jun 10, 2014

  2. More than 90% still to go then. More than 98% in the case of the UK
    apparently. I'm sure it'll happen, but not tomorrow.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Jun 10, 2014

  3. I haven't seen as much concern expressed as I would have expected for
    the fact that IPv6 adressing makes it possible for every individual
    network device on the planet to be uniquely identifiable, no matter
    where it's connected. Does anybody know if this is how it's planned to
    be implemented, or will ISPs still use DHCP, and will home routers
    still use NAT? If everybody behaved with proper decency with regard to
    other people's personal information this wouldn't be a problem, but
    that's not the way it's turning out to be.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Jun 10, 2014
  4. There's things like the 'LowEndSpirit Bundle' here:
    http://lowendbox.com/blog/inception...n-the-uk-e7-50year-for-3-vps-and-more-offers/

    You get 3 virtual servers for EUR7.50/year. But you don't get an IPv4
    address - you only get a selection of ports on a NAT box. That NAT box can
    also do reverse proxying so people can still browse http://www.website.com/
    port 80 on IPv4 - that points at the NAT box which does basic parsing of
    HTTP headers and forwards the requests to your server over IPv6.

    It's all a horrible hack. But note that it's way cheaper than their other
    offerings which come with IPv4 - the IPv4 addresses cost more than the
    server.

    Theo

    Theo Markettos, Jun 10, 2014
  5. I think the plan at the moment is that the norm will be that each device
    gets it's own IPv6 address when it connects. Each users "router" getting
    a block of IPv6 addresses when they connect to an ISP (or it could be
    statically assigned). If you wish a firewall in your "router" can still
    provide the all the same protection from unsolicited packets that is
    currently provided by IPv4 NAT in your "router".

    Brian Gregory, Jun 10, 2014
  6. So business as usual then? <sigh of relief>.

    I hope that really is the case, and that governments remain ignorant
    of what they could do with this if they chose to ("in the public
    interest" of course). The internet so far has been the most powerful
    force for freedom of speech there has ever been, and the last thing it
    needs is another swathe of rules and regulations to bog it down. IPv6
    presents a rather alarming opportunity, and the best hope that this
    opportunity is missed depends on those in power not understanding it.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Jun 11, 2014
  7. You're never going to be able to use native IPv6 unless your router (and
    all the devices connected to it) support/are configured configured to
    use it.

    The ISP can only do so much - although don't get me wrong, I'm all for
    this happening sooner, rather than later.

    Those eager to get their feet wet can do as Angus suggested and use one
    of the solutions that are already out there. Either that, or move to an
    ISP that supports IPv6.

    At the moment, the average consumer really doesn't /need/ IPv6. Any web
    server that's only accessible over IPv6 is severely limiting themselves
    in terms of visitors. This is why it's mainly isolated to test sites and
    the like.

    Plusnet Support Team, Jun 11, 2014
  8. There are ISP's out there offering IPv6 connectivity. AAISP have been
    doing it for yonks.

    We've been in and out of closed trials.

    I'm currently running native dual-stack IPv6 on my Plusnet connection at
    home.

    Plusnet Support Team, Jun 11, 2014
  9. Actually I see what you're saying now.

    I don't think that could ever be done because IP addresses are routed
    like phone numbers. The bits and bytes in the IP determine the route
    taken so there's no way you can use the same IP wherever and however you
    connect to the internet without introducing massive extra complexity of
    some kind.

    Brian Gregory, Jun 12, 2014
  10. Optimist

    Phil W Lee Guest

    (Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd) considered
    Mon, 9 Jun 2014 08:18 +0100 (BST) the perfect time to write:
    Unless you've got something else on your own network which can serve
    DHCPv6 - I don't use the DHCP server in my router, as I have one which
    is more configurable on my server (and it'll serve IPv6 as well).
    Not that it matters to me yet, as I don't get IPv6 from my ISP.

    Phil W Lee, Jun 12, 2014
  11. To support IPv6 the cable modem would need DHCPv6, and I've never
    The cable modem gets it's own IP address, gateway and DNS servers using
    DHCP from the cable headend, so your router needs to support DHCPv6 on the
    WAN port for IPv6 support.

    Just tried enabling DHCPv6 on my Dell Sonicwall router with my Super Hub 2
    (in cable modem mode), but it's unable to find a Virgin Media DHCPv6 server,
    as expected.

    My FTTC PPPoE WAN port on the same Dell Sonicwall finds all it's IPv6
    stateful parameters using also using DHCPv6 from my ISP.

    I was using Si XSS prior to Sonicwall adding IPv6 support.

    The Dell Sonicwall supports several WAN ports, with fall back and load
    sharing, so in theory connectivity is never lost.

    Angus

    Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd, Jun 12, 2014
  12. Optimist

    Chris Hills Guest

    Did you change your router recently? Some routers support a transition
    technology called 6to4 where there is ipv4 but no native ipv6 available.

    Chris Hills, Jun 12, 2014
  13. Optimist

    Invalid Guest

    Yes - IP addresses are routed like phone numbers.

    So why couldn't it be done - mobile phone numbers provide exactly that
    functionality to some 7 billion devices right now, including 2.3 billion
    broadband subscriptions (ref mobithinking.com).

    And governments already know what they can do with that sort of data (
    ref Snowdon)

    Invalid, Jun 13, 2014
  14. Optimist

    Optimist Guest

    No, as their response to the question invariably is that they have no plans for IPV6.

    Optimist, Jun 16, 2014
  15. Optimist

    Optimist Guest

    My PC is plugged directly into the NTL cable modem.

    Optimist, Jun 16, 2014
  16. Optimist

    Chris Hills Guest

    I believe Vista and beyond supports 6to4 natively if you have a direct
    internet connection. Perhaps something changed in your networking
    configuration to stop it from working, like a firewall or other software?

    Chris Hills, Jul 3, 2014
  17. Optimist

    Woody Guest

    The OP still has a cable modem???? That limits speed to 20Mb
    where even newcomers get a Superhub that gives 30Mb.

    He should ring VM and tell Retentions that he is thinking of
    leaving and is concerned about the ever increasing price
    plus he is unhappy that he can only get 20Mb where a new
    customer gets 30. They will give a discount on the B/B -
    probably 20% - and send a Superhub f.o.c.

    The Superhub can easily be reconfigured to work as a modem
    but note that when it is changed the IP address also changes
    to xxx.yyy.100.1 and only Port 1 (lit up) is active, i.e. it
    replaces the modem and wireless is off. When they get around
    to increasing the speed in his area to 50Mb it will happen
    automatically.

    Woody, Jul 3, 2014
  18. Optimist

    Optimist Guest

    Although VM say now they have no plans to allow access to ipv6 sites, a year or so ago I could
    access ipv6 sites with my Vista machine. When that machine died I replaced it with a Windows 8.1
    machine but I notice it refuses to connect to any ipv6 site. I use the standard Windows firewall.

    Optimist, Jul 4, 2014
  19. Strictly speaking, 192.168.100.1 doesn't change, as it always works,
    and gives access to both the modem and router sections. It's the other
    IP address 192.168.0.1 that disappears when the router is disabled.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Jul 4, 2014
  20. Optimist

    Optimist Guest

    I have just found where I recorded the IPV6 address on my Vista PC - it started 2002 so it was a
    6to4, which fits in with your posting than you.

    I now have a Windows 8.1 PC, the Vista PC having died, but there is no IPV6 connectivity (there is a
    link local address starting fe80 but I suspect this is a red herring).

    Optimist, Jul 9, 2014