    Optimist Guest

    A few months ago, I could reach IPV6 sites via my Virgin Media cable connection. Now this is no
    longer possible, it appears that VM has withdrawn the facility - why?

    Optimist, Jun 8, 2014

  2. Perhaps they were just testing it? In order to implement a thing like
    this fully they'd have to update all their routers and diagnostic
    software and retrain their staff. If I were planning such a thing I
    might want to do a feasibility study first on part of the network so
    the service could be made available to all customers at the same time.
    Just guessing.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Jun 8, 2014

  3. Optimist

    Optimist Guest

    That's a possibility, thanks.

    Optimist, Jun 8, 2014
  4. Optimist

    Jim Guest

    Do any of us have that yet ?

    --
    :: Jim,

    NHS Health Database Sale Opt-out form:

    http://www.thebigoptout.com/opt-out-letter/

    Jim, Jun 8, 2014
  5. A few months ago, I could reach IPV6 sites via my Virgin Media
    To support IPv6 the cable modem would need DHCPv6, and I've never seen that.

    Just install the free Ayiya client from https://www.sixxs.net/ and you'll
    get a free IPv6 tunnel, there are several UK POPs.

    Angus

    Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd, Jun 9, 2014
  6. Optimist

    Optimist Guest

    Well until a few weeks ago, I could access IPv6 websites via my 9-year-old NTL cable modem.
    Thanks, but why should I - I pay my ISP to connect me to the whole internet, not just the IPV4
    parts.

    VM's "reasoning" for not providing connectivity is that they have enough IPV4 addresses currently to
    service their own customers. That's like a phone company saying there are sufficient 01
    geographical numbers in your area, so we won't allow you to call 02 numbers.

    Optimist, Jun 9, 2014
  7. Not really. Because while we are in the transition phase everything is
    supposed to be accessible via both IPv4 and IPv6.

    The only things that are IPv6 only should be test pages etc. where you
    need one page for IPv4 and a different one for IPv6.

    Brian Gregory, Jun 9, 2014
  8. Optimist

    Optimist Guest

    Are there no websites in the world which are IPV6 only?

    Optimist, Jun 9, 2014
  9. I think the reason why practically nobody is offering IPv6 is that
    there's hardly any equipment for it and everything we've already got
    is working satisfactorily as it is.
    How would we know? Presumably IPv6 websites are listed in IPv6
    nameservers, so those of us with IPv4 equipment (i.e. nearly all of
    us) would be unable to see them.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Jun 9, 2014
  10. There may be some, but anyone with any sense wouldn't do that since only
    a tiny percentage of the internet has access to IPv6.

    Brian Gregory, Jun 9, 2014
  11. Optimist

    Optimist Guest

    The number of IPV6 only sites is increasing, as there aren't enough IPV4 addresses to go around!

    Optimist, Jun 9, 2014
  12. Optimist

    Optimist Guest

    Exactly, so IPV4-only ISPs like VM are not providing their customers access to the IPV6 part of the
    net.

    Optimist, Jun 9, 2014
  13. Like most ISPs I should imagine, and most manufacturers of routers.
    Until there's a demand for it, I don't suppose this will change. I
    daresay some ISPs, possibly all of them, are doing some work behind
    the scenes in preparation for this, but it would be pointless for any
    of them to make any announcements yet about something nobody can have
    and hardly anybody understands. Operating systems have been capable of
    handling IPv6 for a decade or more and nothing visible has happened
    yet. We'll get it one day but I'm not jumping up and down with
    excitement about it yet.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Jun 9, 2014
  14. The number of IPV6 only sites is increasing, as there aren't enough
    In the West, there are few, if any IPv6 only sites, http://ipv6.google.com/
    just goes to the normal site, although http://ipv6test.google.com/ is more
    intelligent.

    But few web sites need a unique IPv4 address, certainly not the vast
    majority of sites hosted on content farms and shared sites, so lack of IPv4
    address is not an issue.

    Carrier grade NAT is already used for mobile broadband and will
    increasingly be used for cheap deal fixed broadband, while those of that
    need a subnet will use proper broadband suppliers. So IPv6 is not needed
    here yet for end users either.

    But Si XSS offers free IPv6 for everyone, albeit with a minor reduction in
    performance due to the tunnel, but Firefox uses IPv6 by default if the
    domain offers both, and I never notice speed issues.

    Angus

    Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd, Jun 9, 2014
  15. Optimist

    Optimist Guest

    "Firefox can't find the server at ipv6.google.com"
    "Ready for the future of the Internet?

    No problems detected.

    You don’t have IPv6, but you shouldn’t have problems on websites that add IPv6 support"
    In my view, the end user shouldn't need to bother setting up add-ons, he should just be able to
    click the link as normal and the ISP should do the rest.

    Optimist, Jun 9, 2014
  16. Yes. I can buy virtual servers today with only IPv6 connectivity. They're
    cheaper than IPv4 ones, because it's getting to the stage of paying more for
    the IPv4 address than the (minimalist) server.

    IPv4 addresses are in sufficient shortage that I'm looking at reverse
    proxying multiple IPv6 servers through an IPv4 frontend.

    Theo

    Theo Markettos, Jun 9, 2014
  17. I doubt it very much.

    If I went to a hosting company and they said we're out of IPv4 addresses
    you can only have an IPv6 one, I'd say f*** off, I want people to be
    able to see my website, I don't want it to be available only to a
    handful of early adopters.

    Brian Gregory, Jun 9, 2014
  18. Optimist

    Andy Burns Guest

    None of the suppliers blinked when asked if their networks were IPv6
    ready when tendering for a replacement network a year ago. Google's
    stats seem to show 7-8% of American/German/French internet connections
    are already IPv6 capable.

    Andy Burns, Jun 10, 2014
  19. Optimist

    Andy Burns Guest

    A user with only IPv4 connectivity can connect to a DNS server with only
    IPv4 connectivity and query the IPv6 records (AAAA entries rather than A
    entries).

    e.g. my Win7 laptop, querying my openWRT router, which in turn queries
    my ISP, and I've not gone out of my way to configure IPv6, just what
    comes "out of the box".

    C:\Users\Andy>nslookup -type=AAAA www.google.co.uk
    Server: openwrt.lan
    Address: 192.168.1.1

    Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: www.google.co.uk
    Address: 2a00:1450:4009:804::101f
    Seeing them over an IPv6 connection would be a different matter.

    Andy Burns, Jun 10, 2014
  20. Optimist

    Andy Burns Guest

    Andy Burns, Jun 10, 2014