  1. My nephew has just been connected to Virgin broadband on cable. His modem
    offers one Ethernet socket. What should he plug into this to give him
    wireless connection through out his flat?

    Geoff Pearson, Aug 25, 2007

  2. Geoff Pearson

    Gordon Guest

    Gordon, Aug 25, 2007

  3. Geoff Pearson

    Mike Easter Guest

    Your question is ambiguous, and it causes me to think that he has both a
    desktop and a laptop, but you didn't mention a desktop, only the laptop.

    It is generally easier to find a wireless router with built-in wireless
    accesspoint and 4 ethernet LAN ports than just an AP accesspoint.

    In the router circumstance, he would have the cable modem ethernet wired
    to the router to which a desktop could connect ethernet wired and the
    laptop could connect wirelessly. If the LT also has a wired ethernet
    port, it could also/alternatively connect to the router by wired
    ethernet for purpose of troubleshooting when the wireless connectivity
    has problems 'thru'out his flat'.

    Mike Easter, Aug 25, 2007
  4. Geoff Pearson, Aug 25, 2007
  5. I'm not sure where I was ambiguous. The Virgin guy connected a box he
    called a modem to the cable - with Ethernet and USB A sockets on the back.
    We know a desktop can be connected to the Ethernet - but wondered if there
    were a different "modem" or a box to connect to the Ethernet socket to give
    wireless connection for a laptop etc. It seems the kit we require is called
    an access point..

    Geoff Pearson, Aug 25, 2007
  6. Geoff Pearson

    Mike Easter Guest

    You never said whether there was a desktop *AND* a LT. You still
    haven't, for some reason, so the ambiguity persists. If you would
    contextualize your replies instead of bottom posting we could have a
    better discussion because you would be putting your words closer to the
    ones you are answering. Bottom posting is untrimmed and
    non-contextualized. It suffers from some of the same communication
    problems as untrimmed non-contextualized top posting.
    That doesn't tell me how many computers need to connect to the internet
    via the cable box.
    You are not understanding correctly. You cannot connect separate
    computers to the USB and the ethernet ports or separate computers via an
    access point.

    Mike Easter, Aug 25, 2007
  7. Geoff Pearson

    Mike Easter Guest

    I have some experience in shopping for access points and in shopping for
    wireless routers with built-in access points.

    My experience has been that when buying things on sale at my local very
    large electronics/computer store, that it is cheaper to buy a wireless
    router with built in access point which can do NAT translations for
    multiple computers at the same time including troubleshooting wireless
    problems than it is to buy a device which is not a router/NAT translator
    but only an AP.

    Mike Easter, Aug 25, 2007
  8. Geoff Pearson

    ded Guest

    ded, Aug 25, 2007
  9. Geoff Pearson

    why? Guest

    You may not be surprised to see the VM tutorial mentioned earlier or
    asking in the VM newsgroups / exNTL or exBY depending where you are
    coming from.

    virginmedia.users.self-help.networking
    virginmedia.users.self-help
    blueyonder.users.self-help.networking
    blueyonder.users.self-help

    Me

    why?, Aug 25, 2007
  10. Geoff Pearson

    Flyer Guest

    If he wants to connect more than one PC at the same time, then he needs a
    Wireless Cable/DSL Router, not an access point.
    To be honest, even with only one pc, he'd be better getting a router rather
    than just an access point.

    P.

    Flyer, Aug 25, 2007
  11. Geoff Pearson

    Alfred Guest

    Something like this
    http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/product.asp?pr=F5D7230

    Alfred, Aug 26, 2007
  12. Geoff Pearson

    why? Guest

    why?, Aug 26, 2007
  13. Geoff Pearson

    Alfred Guest

    Plenty choices around. I haven't kept up with prices for home kit but
    it seems to have got very cheap.

    Alfred, Aug 26, 2007