    Outlook users more, but at the moment I'm not using Outlook.

    What methods would you suggest to be able to read the text as a normal
    paragraph rather than a long string of breaks?

    Viewasku1977, Nov 14, 2003

  2. Viewasku1977

    °Mike° Guest

    This has nothing to do with readers or HTML. The quoted
    text markers (>) are for just that reason, attributing quoted
    text to a particular poster, otherwise it is impossible to
    understand who said what in replies. Each reply generally
    gets prefixed with another ">". If you remove these markers,
    the text can quickly become a meaningless jumble.

    °Mike°, Nov 14, 2003

  3. Viewasku1977

    Viewasku1977 Guest

    This has nothing to do with readers or HTML. The quoted
    Ok, that explains why in newsgroups, but in some of the messages I've received
    by email, one person's reply is broken down into about twenty lines (would
    *maybe* be a paragraph or two's worth) while mine is perfectly fine. Or
    sometimes it's the other way around. And it's not limited to one email reader.
    I've had this problem with lots of ISP's email. If it's something I'm doing
    or settings that can be changed, I'd definately like to change them.

    Thanks

    Viewasku1977, Nov 14, 2003
  4. Viewasku1977

    °Mike° Guest

    This is *not* restricted to newsgroups. Email conversations
    carry the same logic. If you carry on a conversation with
    somebody, over an extended period, it's nice to know where,
    in the conversation, something was actually said.

    Unless I am misunderstanding you. In which case, you could
    post a (fictitious) example of what you mean.

    °Mike°, Nov 14, 2003
  5. Viewasku1977

    Viewasku1977 Guest

    This is *not* restricted to newsgroups. Email conversations
    Ok, here's an example. I did a view source and found lots of this in the
    document:

    This seems to be the reason for all the breaks as this is the exact place where
    they occur. Here's an example:
    See what I mean? This is actually more confusing than having them jumbled
    together, or at least just as bad.

    Viewasku1977, Nov 14, 2003
  6. Viewasku1977

    Viewasku1977 Guest

    Ok, here's an example. I did a view source and found lots of this in the
    document:

    Note: I was actually trying to say "&gt" but apparently that's code for the
    symbol ">"

    Viewasku1977, Nov 14, 2003
  7. Viewasku1977

    °Mike° Guest

    Those are HTML characters, but I have no idea why so many
    spurious characters are being added.
    Is this AOL email? I have zero knowledge of how it works.

    As a temporary solution, you could use a cleanup utility, such
    as eCleaner.
    http://ecleaner.tripod.com/

    °Mike°, Nov 14, 2003
  8. Viewasku1977

    Viewasku1977 Guest

    s this AOL email? I have zero knowledge of how it works.

    As a temporary solution, you could use a cleanup utility, such
    as eCleaner.
    http://ecleaner.tripod.com/

    Nope, this is a freemail account. It's happened with hotmail and Juno before,
    so I don't think it's an ISP-specific thing. I'll try that link. Thanks!

    Viewasku1977, Nov 14, 2003
  9. Viewasku1977

    Mara Guest

    It _could_ be a difference in your line-length settings vs the other person's. I
    see that frequently.

    Mara, Nov 14, 2003
  10. Viewasku1977

    °Mike° Guest

    See what I mean about the quote marks!!

    °Mike°, Nov 14, 2003
  11. Viewasku1977

    Viewasku1977 Guest

    See what I mean about the quote marks!!
    I do indeed. But it looks like using that utility will take a while. Do the
    quote marks take up much space or just annoying? My main concern right now is
    downsizing my inbox. I'll deal with annoyance but if they're space hogs,
    they've got to go!!

    Viewasku1977, Nov 14, 2003
  12. Viewasku1977

    °Mike° Guest

    Each extra quote mark that should not be there is equal to one
    extra character; it is annoying *without* them, particularly in
    newsgroups. If you continue to remove them in newsgroup
    posts, you will quickly get ignored by a great many people.

    °Mike°, Nov 14, 2003
  13. Viewasku1977

    Viewasku1977 Guest

    Each extra quote mark that should not be there is equal to one
    I wasn't aware I was removing them in the newsgroup. Is this happening? Not
    seeing it on my newsreader. But I am aware that in my reply window right now I
    am showing your last post to be broken up into sentence fragments. It's
    reading like this:

    ">Each extra quote mark that should not be there is equal to one
    Is this how you are sending? Line breaks off between "one" and "extra
    character" with a ">" sign at the beginning of the next line. Same thing
    between "in" and "newsgroups" and so on.

    Viewasku1977, Nov 14, 2003
  14. Viewasku1977

    °Mike° Guest

    When I asked you "See what I mean about the quote marks!!",
    you said you did. Your reply stripped *all* of the quote marks
    from what you had quoted me as saying, making it look like
    your reply was all your words.
    That is my newsreader adding the quote marks, as it should do.

    I suggest you try Mara's suggestion, and set your line
    wrap to 72 for newsgroups.

    °Mike°, Nov 14, 2003
  15. Viewasku1977

    Viewasku1977 Guest

    That is my newsreader adding the quote marks, as it should do.

    I don't know if you're seeing the same thing as me, but instead of each line
    beginning with a quote mark as usual, your replies are going in two line
    segments with a quote mark at the beginning of every *other* line (for the most
    part).

    Actually the more I think of it, I bet it is a line wrap issue. I can't
    remember where that function is located and I googled but didn't find anything
    *specifically* for changing the settings.

    Also, now that the "damage" has been done with my email, I'll use that utility
    you suggested. But I'd still like to know how much extra storage space those
    quote marks take up? A lot?

    Btw, is my reply still *without* quote marks? I installed the utility but i
    haven't used it yet. Thanks

    Viewasku1977, Nov 14, 2003
  16. Viewasku1977

    °Mike° Guest

    No, I'm not seeing that at all.
    One character per extra symbol. So, if you receive, say 100
    letters, in 20 words, and have 100 extra ">" symbols, the size
    of your mail will be double what it should.

    Do yourself a favour, and get rid of AOL.
    It was only that one post that was stripped, but you also
    don't have an introduction line (On YYY, XXX wrote:).
    To somebody who hasn't seen the rest of the thread, and
    read your replies, they will have no idea who you are quoting.

    °Mike°, Nov 14, 2003
  17. Viewasku1977

    trout Guest

    Viewasku1977 wrote:

    [missing attribute included]
    Yes it's a combination of several things. The line-wrap setting, the
    use of "hard returns" in the quoted text, and the fact that the addition
    of the attribution marks makes the line longer, so it will be wrapped in
    a different place than the author originally intended.
    So, a person may write a sentence that just about fits their wrap
    exactly, and hit "enter" to start a new line. The added marks at the
    beginning of the sentence may cause it to wrap over to the second line,
    which will be only the last word or two.
    The lower your wrap settings than the person's whose text your
    quoting; the more noticable all this jumble will be.
    Most readers have a 'fix' for this, but I've no idea about AOL. You
    may want to find a more specific newsgroup to find more about that.
    As for those long expanses of nothing but quote characters between
    messages; that just bad use of blank space. Both by the people that
    leave a lot of dead space in their post, and the people that fail to
    trim it out when they reply. That's when you see things like:between posts; which serves no purpose. It's just sloppy. One line of
    attribution marks of the same length as those of the previous quoted
    post is sufficient; or just a blank line to separate different posts.

    trout, Nov 14, 2003
  18. Viewasku1977

    Sherry Guest

    Try: http://ecleaner.tripod.com/

    I love it -- it works great!

    Sherry, Nov 14, 2003
  19. Viewasku1977

    Juan Pérez Guest

    You are correct, "&gt" is the html code for the symbol ">".

    Juan Pérez, Nov 15, 2003
  20. Viewasku1977

    Viewasku1977 Guest

    Subject: Re: Viewing messages in plain text
    are still there (hard returns I guess). Going through and deleting all of them
    one at a time will take forever! I haven't seen that the utility will get rid
    of line breaks either. What would you suggest to use for this?

    Viewasku1977, Nov 15, 2003