Viewers are the best albums! Best digital photo & picture organizing

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Morgan Ohlson, Dec 13, 2003.

  1. To keep things simple, its best to store photos and pictures just in
    ordinary folders. Keep it standard and easy understandable.

    The good viewer collect pictures automatic from subfolders or not, to your
    liking. You can also search picture names, ixif, iptc and jpeg-comments.
    The viewer shows the choosen pictures in nice thumbnails in a few formats
    according to your liking, monitor size etc. (Backgrounds can easily be
    choosen from a palette of neutral colors)

    From your viewer you can organize, cut&paste, drag&drop between folders and
    show your pictures as dia-show, randomly etc.

    This way no "difficoult to understand" album is needed. Keep it simple and
    just use your viewer as a search, organizer and show tool.

    The deluxe viewer will have simple multiphoto-page-printing and printable
    reports

    For these tasks a stand alone product may be the best.
    # Batch resizeing and formatting
    # HTML-web-album creation (personal templates etc.)
    # Creative album-lay-out and printing
    # Photo enhancement and editors
    # Noise reduction software (or as plug-ins)
    # Photo transfering Digicam - PC (native)

    This is what i think. Now you may state your complaints ;o) or hint
    about the best viewers around.

    Morgan O.

    Morgan Ohlson, Dec 13, 2003

  2. Morgan Ohlson

    Norm Guest

    No comment on your statement other then to agree with what you say. To me
    Irfanview has got to be the best viewer around, don't know what I would do
    without it.

    Norm, Dec 13, 2003

  3. Morgan Ohlson

    Andy Hewitt Guest

    Well, yes, I agree. Although I actually run *both* systems myself. For
    batch processing though there is very little that can even come close to
    the features of Graphic Converter on the Mac [1]. This also makes an
    extremely good viewer too. For web page design, or at least a very quick
    and easy page, I use Apple's iPhoto for that.

    Sometimes, just for viewing and quick editing, the software that comes
    with the camera can be quite sufficient. The Minolta software even has a
    curve tool, which is almost indispensible IMHO.

    Andy Hewitt, Dec 13, 2003
  4. Naturally all picture data (exif, jpg, iptc) and renaming shall be edited
    from same screen

    What kind of curve tool.... can it shoot around corners :eek:) ?

    Morgan O.

    Morgan Ohlson, Dec 15, 2003
  5. Morgan Ohlson

    Nigel R Guest

    Hi All,

    Despite searching newsgroups I also am having trouble finding
    practical image organizing software for a digital camera.

    Have tried the view/management software that comes with Casio Photo
    Loader - pretty awful. A key problem is, it does not offer sensible
    compression/resizing for quick emailing via say, Outlook Express. So
    for the QV-R40 camera I am looking for something better.

    Tried Kodak's Easyshare - again, no email support and does not import
    from the Casio (though supplied with it).

    Tried Fotoalbum. Handles the folder structure (that the Casio loader
    software forces on you) a bit confusingly and no email program linking
    support.

    Have heard good reviews about some 'Thumbs.x' or such named programs
    but do not know if they support any usb camera image importing system
    or quick compress & resize to Outlook Express that I need.

    Whatever software I get, should be set-up-able for a person with
    moderate computer knowledge so they can load in the images from
    camera, email the pics easily and maybe do a little image work via
    Paint Shop Pro for example.

    Does anyone have a suggestion that is economical and where the
    download is < 10MB ?

    Thanks
    Nigel

    www.bb-china.com

    Nigel R, Dec 29, 2003
  6. After thinking very intense on the subject for a while, I say that it's
    mainly a "thinking problem". Organizing pictures is like normal file
    management with some extensions. Those new things you like to do with pic's
    is what's the problem.

    When or if you first descide what you like to do with the pic's everything
    gets more easy.

    Read below in several topics about keywords storage /storing /back-up and
    CD.

    As you may have observed I definitely recommend viewers instead of albums. A
    good viewer let you organize your pictures in the standard OS environment
    whith some extra search function added.
    Albums, in may belief is only for printing multi pic pages to for old aunt
    Marthas RL photoalbum.
    Viewers is _it_! Drop albums, it's only confuseing.

    For rookies I would not recommend PSp
    Start out with Adobe Photo Delux. Unfortunately discontinued product since a
    year back.
    Look into free viewers at Tucows and WebAttack.
    I'try XnView at the moment. It's HiQ, but I'm not shure if it's THE
    solution.

    Morgan O.

    Morgan Ohlson, Dec 31, 2003
  7. Morgan Ohlson

    Nigel R Guest

    Thanks for the suggestions folks. Interesting reading.

    Since I entered this thread I did hunt around & found Fototime
    Fotoalbum Pro.

    It really does appear to do everything I want including no-brainer
    resize & compress to Outlook Express of pics based on presets. Alas,
    on Windows 98 the MAPI linking fails to work (OK on Win2K) so the link
    to Outlook Extress fails (but the built-in email from this prog does
    work if set up). I was really suprised to get a reply from Fototime's
    tech support on New Year's day! They said they'd try to reproduce the
    problem, but were pessimistic as MAPI is a known headache esp on
    Win98.

    I hear what you are saying about Viewers & will check some. But do any
    have a resize & compress facility with link to one's default email
    program?

    Cheers - Nigel
    www.bb-beijing.com

    Nigel R, Jan 4, 2004
  8. Does it keep track on iptc-data?

    Morgan O.

    Morgan Ohlson, Jan 5, 2004
  9. Morgan Ohlson

    Nigel R Guest

    Hi Morgan,

    Here is an extract from Fototime pro's Help - I'm sure this is not
    real pro's program but if you evaluate it, let me know what you think.

    Data that is imported (extracted) from EXIFF
    FotoAlbum can display all of the different types of Metadata that can
    be stored within images. While EXIF is the most prominent, FotoAlbum
    can also display: IPTC, APP12, CIFF, and FlashPix.

    FotoAlbum auto-extracts the picture date and caption from images. The
    picture date is extracted from one of several EXIF tags depending on
    what values are present. In addition, picture dates are also extracted
    from the other formats automatically

    Nigel R, Jan 5, 2004