    wireless link in a network that is not encrypted?

    TIA

    --

    Neo Anderson, Sep 29, 2004

  2. Neo Anderson

    Lance Guest

    Neo Anderson thought carefully and wrote on 9/28/2004 8:56 PM:
    Yes, they're wide open. I've accidently used someone else's wireless
    network to surf the 'net instead of my own.

    Lance
    *****

    Lance, Sep 29, 2004

  3. Neo Anderson

    Neo Anderson Guest

    I did the same the other evening. Luckily for the neighbor (about 400' down
    the street) he'd named his network with his last name. I walked down,
    invited him here for a little show-n-tell.

    Neo Anderson, Sep 29, 2004
  4. Neo Anderson

    Lance Guest

    400 ft! What are you (or your neighbor) using? I have problems getting a
    signal to my son's room 50 ft away.

    Lance
    *****

    Lance, Sep 29, 2004
  5. Neo Anderson

    Neo Anderson Guest

    D-Link DWL-G120

    He has a Linksys router wireless to an internal wireless adapter in a
    laptop.

    We have a near line-of-sight with only window glass in between.

    Neo Anderson, Sep 29, 2004
  6. In
    Neos neighbour

    http://tinyurl.com/4hozd

    hope that helps ;o)

    Steve Parry [MVP], Sep 29, 2004
  7. Neo Anderson

    Neo Anderson Guest

    Well, heck, Steve - Everyone in the neighborhood had one of those. Doesn't
    every wi-fi user? ; )

    Neo Anderson, Sep 29, 2004
  8. Neo Anderson

    Lance Guest

    Does it do WEP?

    Lance
    *****

    Lance, Sep 30, 2004
  9. Neo Anderson

    Neo Anderson Guest

    At the initial time he was not. We have him all locked down now.

    Neo Anderson, Sep 30, 2004
  10. Neo Anderson

    Guest Guest

    Actually, certain Linksys systems have MAC address filters so WEP is
    unnecessary for keeping unauthorized users out. However, the data can still
    be watched and recorded, so WEP is a good idea.

    Guest, Oct 1, 2004
  11. Not to mention that MAC address filtering can be tricked by spoofing the MAC
    address if somebody knows how. WEP adds another layer of hassle for the
    undesirable data stealer to get over. WPA would be even better. None of it
    foolproff sadly yet but both or either (though I'd go with both but I use
    WPA instead of WEP) will deter the casual unauthorised accesser.

    Braces and a belt is sometimes a good thing. :)

    Rachael

    Rachael the Wiccan Rat, Oct 4, 2004
  12. Neo Anderson

    Guest Guest

    Is WPA any more reliable? I've had real problems with my SP2 system dropping
    the connection, and then re-connecting...

    Obi-Wan Kenobi

    Guest, Oct 5, 2004
  13. I've heard fiddling with the RTS threshold and the fragment threshold can
    help in unstable connections with WPA and WEP (though particular with WPA so
    I understand it) but I've never had the problem myself so I couldn't vouch
    one way or another. Of course this does assume that you can get to your
    wireless hardware's configs for those values.
    A quick google with rts and threshold and wireless as your keywords would
    turn up more about it I imagine. I did read a good page on it not so long
    back but I'm beggared if I can find it in my history, sorry.

    Rachael

    Rachael the Wiccan Rat, Oct 5, 2004