    I have a home wireless network with a laptop and a desktop computer running
    XP. I want to be able to view and use the laptop's desktop screen from the
    other computer. I can't figure out how to set it up. I need instructions.

    Mel, Mar 18, 2008

  2. But being "able to view and use the laptop's desktop screen from the
    other computer" is what MS calls Remote operation.

    Don Phillipson, Mar 18, 2008

  3. Jack pointed you in the right direction. You would need to use Remote
    Desktop ( if the laptop is running XP Pro or MCE) or VNC (if the laptop is
    running XP Home) to do that. Another alternative, particularly for a help
    desk type function, is a program like Remote Assistance or TeamViewer that
    would allow you to both view and gain control of a remote PC desktop. If
    the laptop was running Linux you could use a remote X display but that is
    not an option in your case.

    http://www.uvnc.com/
    http://www.realvnc.com/support/getting-started.html

    http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteAssistance/RemoteAssistance.html

    http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows - Desktop User Experience)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...
    How to ask a question
    http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

    Sooner Al [MVP], Mar 18, 2008
  4. Mel

    John Guest

    Sorry, I agree with Jack. Remote desktop is what you want.
    Can you explain what "view and use the laptop's desktop screen from the
    other computer" mean?

    John, Mar 19, 2008