    http://english.vietnamnet.vn/tech/2009/01/822425/

    It will be interesting to see how they get on.

    Peter

    Peter, Jan 11, 2009

  2. Peter

    impossible Guest

    Just so we're clear:

    The **unelected government** of Vietnam is having a go at open-source
    software. The **unelected government** of Vietnam has issued a directive to
    that effect, which the people of Vietnam have no choice but to obey.

    That's what you meant, right?

    impossible, Jan 11, 2009

  3. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Just so we're clear; the linked article states this applies to government
    agencies, not "the people of Vietnam".

    The article says the instruction "requests that computer traders not
    sell PCs installed with cracked software". Doesn't read like a case
    of "no choice", does it?

    Peter

    Peter, Jan 11, 2009
  4. In a country where a legit copy of Windows or OS X is the price of about a
    year's salary? I don't think so.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 11, 2009
  5. Peter

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Oh but they do! See below.
    It's the opposite. There have been several pieces of software that I've
    purchased online that were *more* expensive because I was buying from NZ.
    This is with digital delivery too, so no shipping costs.

    I have no idea what the rationale behind this is.

    Example, Corel. Paint Shop Pro X2 (used to be a great piece of software
    some versions prior, but they've run it into the ground) is US$69 for the
    download version if you're buying from the US, or about NZ$120, but it's
    NZ$229 if you're buying from here. That's nearly double the price.

    Nik Coughlin, Jan 11, 2009
  6. Peter

    Richard Guest

    Which is why you limit the transfer of licenses like solidworks do, its
    only valid in the country of purchase.

    Richard, Jan 11, 2009
  7. So much for the doctrine of first sale.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 12, 2009
  8. Why exactly is the operation of the market a "problem"?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 12, 2009
  9. "From each according to their ability to pay" -- sounds a bit Communist,
    doesn't it?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 12, 2009
  10. Peter

    impossible Guest

    Just so we're clear -- The people of Vietnam have no say in any government
    matters. So the Vietnamese Communist Party is issuing a directive to
    government minions to, as you say, "upskill your people to use open source
    software". And you call this "interesting"? How so?
    The people of Vietnam have no say in any government matters. What part of
    that reality don't you understand?

    impossible, Jan 12, 2009
  11. It's price discrimination, though. And it can only work if you can prevent
    the ones who can get it cheaper from passing it on to those who would
    otherwise have to pay more.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 12, 2009
  12. Peter

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "whoisthis" typed:
    Well there is the problem with poorer countries then on selling the
    software ...[/QUOTE]

    So much ;discussion', so little research:

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/pos...bats-chinese-piracy-via-major-price-cuts.html
    http://www.cnet.com/topic-news/developing-country/microsoft-windows-xp.html
    http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2004/aug04/08-11WinXPStarterPilotPR.mspx
    http://www.slyck.com/forums/viewtop...k=t&sd=a&sid=27c7c447e12ac98d91ad149d352acc4d

    ~misfit~, Jan 12, 2009
  13. Peter

    Gordon Guest

    No I am for one not clear

    Gordon, Jan 12, 2009
  14. Peter

    Fierce Guppy Guest

    Puddle expressed precisely :
    A can baked beans costs $30,000,000,000, and then there is the added
    cost of a roll of bog paper which averages close to $22 million for a
    single sheet of 2-ply.

    http://tinyurl.com/99crb4

    Tony.

    Fierce Guppy, Jan 12, 2009
  15. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Yes, Microsoft has done this in some countries, eg Thailand
    http://www.thaipr.net/nc/readnews.aspx?newsid=125BDDDB0A30A54993A52AC39AE88A06
    This article talks about a Home and Student edition, but I'm sure
    I've heard of cheap versions for Thai businesses.

    IIRC the software is in Thai language and script, so not a convenient
    way for folk in NZ to get cheap software.

    Peter

    Peter, Jan 12, 2009
  16. Another factor in their decision is that there is no Vietnamese-localized
    version of Windows, whereas several localized Linux distros are available.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 12, 2009
  17. Peter

    Peter Guest

    That is definitely one of the factors you need to consider when choosing,
    but you still need to select from one of the four a, b, c, d.

    Peter, Jan 12, 2009
  18. Peter

    Fierce Guppy Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro brought next idea :
    No. The latter is a Communist principle stripping a person of his
    choice about whom benefits from his abilities, effectively consigning
    him to a life of servicing other people's needs. Under Communism,
    having more ability than others becomes a liability itself. It is
    perhaps wishful thinking on your part that you could use Puddle's words
    to ease in and make acceptable a little bit of your own ideology.

    Tony.

    Fierce Guppy, Jan 12, 2009
  19. Peter

    oneofus Guest

    What he said.
    You still need to choose.
    If you run a developing country (a) prolly not be the best option.

    oneofus, Jan 12, 2009
  20. Which is about two months' salary in Vietnam.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 12, 2009