    I am quite amazed at the results.

    http://www.videolan.org/

    Now all I need to do is try it on 802 wifi and see how it performs.

    Collector_NZ, Oct 8, 2004

  2. Collector_NZ

    ChrisOD Guest

    I've tried it on a 802.11g network and it was fine but somepeople I know
    say it didn't work well on a b network, you results may vary!

    ChrisOD, Oct 8, 2004

  3. Collector_NZ

    Collector_NZ Guest

    ChrisOD said the following on 8/10/2004 23:23:
    Yep I think the clue is in the statement
    " The VideoLAN project targets multimedia streaming of MPEG-1, MPEG-2,
    MPEG-4 and DivX files, DVDs, digital satellite channels, digital
    terrestial television channels and live videos on a high-bandwidth IPv4
    or IPv6 network in unicast or multicast under many OSes."
    I doubt b has enough bandwidth for it but a and g would be close.

    Collector_NZ, Oct 8, 2004
  4. Collector_NZ

    jasonr Guest

    IIRC a DVD requires about 8Mb/s, but an 802.11b network although
    nominally 11Mb/s, tops out in practice at about 7 once error correction
    etc is taken into account. So its close, but not quite enough. And if
    you have more than 4 or 5 PCs on your wireless LAN, or a microwave oven
    or cordless phone nearby, then your 802.11g might turn out a bit too
    flakey to stream DVDs over at times too.

    jasonr, Oct 8, 2004
  5. Collector_NZ

    richard Guest

    Good luck, authough if your house is the typical kiwi toothpick and cardboard
    construction you may be alright for a few rooms. - Remember that in reality you
    only ever get slightly above 1/2 the physical layer speed on 802.11 so you will
    need at least an 18, and possibly 24 mbit link, which means being pretty close
    to the accesspoint

    richard, Oct 8, 2004
  6. Collector_NZ

    theseus Guest

    Videolan can transcode to various codecs to suit the bandwidth

    theseus, Oct 8, 2004