    resolution and new .MOV file is 10 Megs of lower resolution.

    Is this normal? What am I doing wrong?

    -Bill

    AncientAge, Aug 10, 2009

  2. AncientAge

    SMS Guest

    I've only tried this type of conversion once (not with the program
    you're using), but it was pretty unsuccessful, with very large file
    sizes and poor quality. It may be inherent in the conversion process to
    ..mov files.

    Now I use Sony Vegas to edit video footage from the camcorder or digital
    camera, and I export it in .mov format and it seems to work well. But
    I'm not saving it as a .WMV then converting it, the edited video is in
    Sony's format, then it gets exported to different formats. I never tried
    importing a .WMV then exporting it as a .MOV.

    SMS, Aug 10, 2009

  3. AncientAge

    Matt Ion Guest

    Just tried it using WinX Video Converter and the output files look fine.
    They are a little larger (maybe 15-20%), which is not uncommon, but
    with the "Original Size and Keep Aspect Ratio" and "Use High Quality
    Engine" options, they come out at the same resolution and quality as the
    originals.

    Matt Ion, Aug 10, 2009
  4. AncientAge

    Guest Guest

    ..mov is a container format (as is .avi), so the size of the file
    depends on which compression codec you pick and its settings.

    as for the conversion, i'd do it by opening the movie in quicktime
    player and then exporting it to whatever format you want. experiment
    with the size and compression of the various codecs.

    Guest, Aug 10, 2009
  5. AncientAge

    AncientAge Guest

    Yes, seems to be several compression formats. FLV is supposed to be
    good but needs to be converted at the other end. I tried converting to
    FLV but lost the sound since I'm missing some plug-in goodie. But I
    think I can use the .MOV file I have.

    One more question:

    It seems that DSL download speed is about 3 megabytes per minute, so
    I'm figuring a 3 minute video with a filesize of 10 meg will download
    at about the same rate as it is played, so there won't be much waiting
    time for the file to play.

    If the filesize is larger, for more resolution, say 20 megs for a 3
    minute video, the connection speed will be too slow to view the file
    until the entire file is downloaded.

    So, the optimum video rate seems to be about 3 megabytes per minute?

    Is this about right?

    -Bill

    AncientAge, Aug 12, 2009
  6. AncientAge

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Like most idiots you don't know what you're whining about.

    Ray Fischer, Aug 12, 2009