Video capture cards

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Bootstrap Bill, May 8, 2004.

  1. I have an ATI "TV Wonder" card. It does "wonders" for NTSC. Is there
    anything like it for HDTV as well?

    Bootstrap Bill, May 8, 2004

  2. Bootstrap Bill

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Yes. Hauppauge has a couple of different HDTV models with the WinTV-D
    and the WinTV-HD, Dvico has two or three models, and there is the Vision
    Plus VP-DTV-T. You can search www.videohelp.com for more info.

    Oldus Fartus, May 9, 2004

  3. Bootstrap Bill

    Ronald Cole Guest

    Do you know anything about the 8-bit, 9-bit, and 10-bit capture cards?
    I assume that the ATI is an 8-bit capture card. But I've been looking
    for something a little better but having no luck getting good
    information. What do you know about 9- and 10-bit capture cards?

    Ronald Cole, May 11, 2004
  4. Bootstrap Bill

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    I am sorry, I don't. Digital TV is in it's infacy in my area and I
    haven't yet looked fully into them.

    Oldus Fartus, May 11, 2004
  5. Bootstrap Bill

    Ronald Cole Guest

    I wasn't asking about DTV capture cards. My understanding is that
    8-bit cards can only capture 256 colors. 9-bits can render 512 colors
    and 10-bits can render 1024 colors. I would think that if one was
    going to transfer from an inherently analog medium (LD) to a digital
    one, that one would want the better color accuracy afforded by a
    capture card with more than 8-bits.

    Ronald Cole, May 11, 2004
  6. 8 bits represent 256 shades of GREY. Even broadcast equipment only
    generally uses 8-bit DACs. That's 256 shades per colour, which equals
    many millions of colours. Scanners need 24 bits for millions of
    colours,, with 32-bit etc representing Alpha channel information.
    It's just a different terminology between scanners and video systems.

    . Steve ..

    Steve(JazzHunter), May 12, 2004
  7. Bootstrap Bill

    Ronald Cole Guest

    Ok, then, what's the benefit of capture cards with more than 8-bits?

    Ronald Cole, May 16, 2004