    first idea of what level I am pitching for so a primer and a few
    suggestions would be appreciated.

    cheers, -peter

    Peter Huebner, Feb 4, 2005

  2. Peter Huebner

    BIG Bear Guest

    You will end up with a headache and your eyes falling out, plus limitations on
    how many can watch the small screen.

    Not a good move at all.

    This is the One to get and is not that dear

    http://www.digit-life.com/archive.shtml?dl20040412

    As you can see it has a Hardware Encoder, most do not..

    $178.88 inc

    http://www.ezycom.co.nz/Products_Display.asp?brand=PixelView&legacy=1&display=categories

    BIG Bear , Feb 4, 2005

  3. Peter Huebner

    Guest Guest

    DSE sells a video capture card for less than $100. It too has hardware
    encoding, and seems to do a very good job.

    Divine

    Guest, Feb 4, 2005
  4. Peter Huebner

    SteveM Guest

    If you want to build a dedicated PVR PC then look at the Hauppauge TV
    tuner cards (not the cheapest though) @ www.krome.co.nz and the very
    good GB-PVR software (made in Wellington and donationware)
    www.gb-pvr.com

    At the very least get a card with an onboard tuner and Hardware Mpeg
    encoding, Hauppauge, Prolink [email protected] etc (I have the Prolink card
    myself). Hardware encoding will give a superior result when copying
    those vhs tapes.

    SteveM

    SteveM, Feb 5, 2005
  5. Peter Huebner

    BIG Bear Guest

    Please post the Model No.

    I have never heard of a TV Card that has a Mpeg Encoder and can be that
    cheap..

    BIG Bear , Feb 5, 2005
  6. Peter Huebner

    Guest Guest

    You've never heard of many things, Woger.

    Divine

    Guest, Feb 5, 2005
  7. There won't be many watching, (i.e. just me, or maybe 1 or 2 others) and
    my 19' monitor isn't that much smaller than my 21"tv. Gods, I used to
    have a 14 inch monitor for a tv screen (using vcr as tuner) for many
    years.

    Thanks for the headsup on the card. I will follow that up (first link
    didn't work, maybe they changed the reference).

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Feb 5, 2005
  8. Peter Huebner

    BIG Bear Guest

    So Post the Part No..

    Seems that you just don't know and full of Fud Again..

    BIG Bear , Feb 5, 2005
  9. Peter Huebner

    BIG Bear Guest

    That is a Old link and should work, as I tested it before I posted it.
    that is a Russian web site

    This is the link I am referring to..

    http://www.digit-life.com/archive.shtml?dl20040412

    Use Google to find shops that are selling it..

    BIG Bear , Feb 5, 2005
  10. Peter Huebner

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Maybe, but all the TV cards DSE have are under $100.00, for $94.00 or
    less they have XH6861 which they refer to as having "real-time MPEG-1
    and MPEG-2 video recording"

    But after a bit of digging around, this card is probably a Lifeview
    FlyTV Platinum

    http://lifeview.com/html/products/PCITV/FlyTVPlatinum-w1.htm

    and from their specs (system requirements) looks like it doesn't have
    hardware encoding. Probably isn't supported by Linux, either.

    The only other TV card that DSE list is no longer available.

    Which was the card you were referring to?

    cheers

    -=rjh=-, Feb 5, 2005
  11. Peter Huebner

    Adder Guest

    Sat, 05 Feb 2005 13:25:59 +1300, BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au <BIG Bear
    @bearcat.com.au> says...
    doubt it is, afaik it is a brooktree 848 or similar, hardware capture but
    no mPeg encoding

    Adder, Feb 5, 2005
  12. Peter Huebner

    Adder Guest

    Sat, 05 Feb 2005 14:21:51 +1300, BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au <BIG Bear
    @bearcat.com.au> says...
    Probbaly XH6861
    Claims real;time Mpge1/Mpeg 2 encoing but no claim of hardware coding

    data sheets show no hatdware Mpeg encoding

    Adder, Feb 5, 2005