    one machine that is still on the internet.

    Can anyone tell me any reasons why this hugely irritating and totally
    illogical scenario might come about?

    Gordon, Sep 29, 2009

  2. Hi
    This situation can occur if one or more of the users are busy with heavy BT
    type downloads.
    Most Entry Level Routers can not stand such a load and they get "Stuck".
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Sep 29, 2009

  3. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    I did wonder - the XP laptop that's wired in uses VPN and connects to a
    large database (it's a company machine - the other three are not....)
    strange thing is, it only happens occasionally, not all the time..

    Gordon, Sep 30, 2009
  4. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    Here's more info:
    I have discovered that it's only web browsing that is affected - NNTP and
    email access aren't.....
    Any clues as to what I should be looking at?

    Gordon, Oct 2, 2009
  5. Gordon

    Pavel A. Guest

    Then it looks like a problem with the router - try to replace it.

    --pa

    Pavel A., Oct 2, 2009
  6. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    That's what I thought - it's supplied by the company my wife works for as is
    the broadband (grin) so we will have to go through them...

    Gordon, Oct 2, 2009
  7. Gordon

    Pavel A. Guest

    It may be as simple as updating the router firmware.
    Vista (or win7) is known to break some naïve routers never tested against
    anything besides XP...

    --pa

    Pavel A., Oct 4, 2009