    Several speed checks indicate download speed as 2.33Mbs as It should
    be but only 4kbs upload. Has anyone seen this problem before? Any
    ideas to sort this problem would be most appreciated

    iCod, Mar 4, 2014

  2. iCod

    Woody Guest

    Try resetting the modem/router (the little button) and see
    if it improves.

    If your friend is only 3Km from the exchange it should be
    faster than that. Who is his ISP and what speed is he on?
    2Mb download should give at least 200K upload.

    Woody, Mar 4, 2014

  3. iCod

    Graham J Guest

    I've seen exactly this problem before. Solved by changing to a decent
    ISP, on the grounds that it was impossible to explain the problem to
    anybody on the BT helpdesk.

    Ring a good ISP (e.g. Zen Internet, or Andrews & Arnold) and ask for
    sales. Explain that you are considering migrating to them on condition
    that they answer your technical questions. Suggest that they get
    somebody technical to ring you back. Then explain your problem, ask
    them what they think is causing it, and whether they would be able to
    avoid/resolve the problem if you migrated.

    If you understand and like their explanation, then migrate.

    Graham J, Mar 4, 2014
  4. check he ain't on a poor wifi

    and check its the same to all sites - use a speed test - try several

    --
    Ineptocracy

    diminishing number of producers.

    The Natural Philosopher, Mar 5, 2014
  5. iCod

    Woody Guest

    Good suggestion, but an easier way is to get him to change
    to PlusNet who do speak technical and English (well Sheffuld
    English anyway) and who are renowned for their helpfulness -
    their technical man not only reads but often replies on this
    NG. They will probably be cheaper as well.

    Woody, Mar 5, 2014
  6. iCod

    Martin Brown Guest

    What do the modem statistics for SNR, sync and error rates say?
    Use one of the BT speedtester sites and get it to tell you the sync
    rates, do the advanced line diagnostics and then grumble at BT.

    I have a similar problem on my rural line where download speed and sync
    rate is fine at 5Mbps but upload performance is compromised somewhat. It
    has proved very difficult to get it fixed but as my uplink syncs at 448k
    but has an alarming number of hard error seconds per day about 120.

    I suspect my problem is local MW RF pickup on the line that is in band
    for the uplink and so interferes with some channels.

    I haven't had any joy with getting it fixed but it doesn't affect my
    normal usage (minor irritation streaming HD video).

    Routerstats lite is quite handy for monitoring a badly behaved line with
    an intermittent fault if it supports your modem.

    Martin Brown, Mar 5, 2014
  7. iCod

    Graham J Guest

    Martin Brown wrote:
    [snip]
    I've been able to configure the full version of RouterStats (version
    6.8k) to work with several routers, including Vigor 2600 and Vigor 2800,
    and TP-Link TD-W8960N ; so please ask here if you need guidance.

    What I haven't been able to do is to get it to work with the Vigor 2820
    - so if anybody has, please let me know.

    Graham J, Mar 5, 2014
  8. iCod

    Martin Brown Guest

    Have you had any luck making it work with daft routers that use
    Javascript and frames to make access to their statistics difficult?

    eg Modern Orange Brightbox where the stats are all available but hidden
    in a deep dark recess protected by a button that *must* be pressed to
    acknowledge that Advanced mode allows you to do dangerous things.

    Martin Brown, Mar 5, 2014
  9. use snmp if available.
    Oh the joys of snmp..;-)

    The Natural Philosopher, Mar 5, 2014
  10. iCod

    Roger Mills Guest

    As others have said, re=boot the router and see whether that helps.

    Then look at whatever stats are available on the router - particularly
    the up and down synch speeds and the up and down noise margins (SNRs) -
    and report back here.
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Roger Mills, Mar 5, 2014
  11. iCod

    Graham J Guest

    No - sorry ...

    Graham J, Mar 5, 2014
  12. Can you get the stats from the command line?

    Mike Tomlinson, Mar 6, 2014