Very Slow System

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Dave Hardenbrook, Jul 8, 2005.

  1. I have a client with a veerrrrry slooooooowwwww PC. It takes about ten
    minutes to boot, about twenty minutes to empty the Temporary Internet
    Files Folder, and the maximum download speed her (dial-up) Internet
    connection can muster is 0.5 KBps. Also, downloads of large images and
    E-mails frequently "quit" about halfway through with no displayed
    errors. (Connection isn't dropped -- Download just quits.)

    I assure you my client is not using an ENIAC. However, the system is a
    seven-year-old custom-built Pentium II with a 4 GB hard drive and 64M
    memory. Her OS is Windows 98 (*not* SE!) and has never been reinstalled
    since the system was built. It seems like these facts together could
    *partially* account for the slowness, but hardly all.

    Now, I've already "rounded up the usual suspects": Checked the hard
    drive for errors -- No errors. Defragmented the drive -- Made no
    difference. (Also worth noting here that the drive is only about 30%
    full.) Checked virtual memory -- It's set to "Let Windows handle VM".
    Scanned for viruses and spyware -- No viruses, and removing the
    spyware/adware made no difference.

    I'm stumped at this point -- If any of you can offer any suggestions on
    how I should proceed, I would appreciate it.

    Thanks,

    Dave

    Dave Hardenbrook, Jul 8, 2005

  2. Dave Hardenbrook

    Kronos1962 Guest

    Backup her files, wipe the hard drive and reinstall windows and all the
    essential software. I personally wouldn't worry about what is causing
    the problem unless the software reinstallation doesn't fix it.

    Kronos1962, Jul 8, 2005

  3. What if she doesn't have her install disks? (A problem I always dread.)

    Dave Hardenbrook, Jul 8, 2005
  4. How much free space is on the drive? With that little RAM, she is
    bound to be using a swapfile a lot. Have you checked her resources?

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Jul 8, 2005
  5. Dave Hardenbrook

    Pat Guest

    Try a regular or OEM Windows 98 CD and enter her serial key. This
    doesn't always work because of the different versions of Windows 98
    (OEM, service packs, etc.). If she doesn't have 98SE, then this might
    be hard.

    At that point, I'd tell her it's time to upgrade to a new system.

    Pat, Jul 8, 2005
  6. Dave Hardenbrook

    rainman Guest

    rainman, Jul 8, 2005
  7. Dave Hardenbrook

    JohnO Guest

    ....Assuming you've emptied out the startup folder and checked the 'run'
    section of the registry for adware/spyware...more resources is what I'd
    recommend, too. A 256 MB stick will work wonders, and for $40 a 20 GB HDD
    will make a huge diff. 98 SE will run fine on such a machine.

    -John O

    JohnO, Jul 8, 2005
  8. Careful...I have never seen it proven, but have read anecdotal
    evidence here and in other newsgroups that adding more RAM than a
    board can cache (not support) may make Windows 98 run more slowly, as
    Windows loads at least some components from the top of RAM, and
    uncached RAM is slow. Like I say, I've never seen it for myself. My
    guess is that board is capable of covering 128M with cache, and maybe
    only 64M.

    That board is likely using SIMMs anyway...did they ever get any bigger
    than 32 or 64M? It'll need pairs as well, if I'm not mistaken; singles
    won't work.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Jul 9, 2005
  9. Darn this having to rush through newsgroups...my son had a baseball
    game. :)

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Jul 9, 2005
  10. Dave Hardenbrook

    AG Guest

    Sounds like a typical system infected with Spyware to me. You probably also
    need to check for viruses and trojans. Run Hijack This on it and look at
    what is running at boot in msconfig.
    For that system 64 megs is OK it should run fine with that much. I've run
    98 with only 32 lots of times.

    AG

    AG, Jul 9, 2005
  11. Tied at 10, and thanks for asking...he pitched the first 3 innings
    (all he is allowed to pitch under league rules), allowing one run and
    striking out 7. The second pitcher had control difficulties. These
    regular season games are really organized practices, as the results
    have no bearing on final standings, so the coaches use them to give as
    many players as possible a chance to play different positions, for
    development purposes. At season's end, every team plays every other
    team once, with the bottom team then being dropped. Then 1st plays
    4th, 2nd plays 3rd, and those winners clash for the right to be
    champion. I like the league he's in... :)

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Jul 9, 2005
  12. Dave Hardenbrook

    JohnO Guest

    Careful...I have never seen it proven, but have read anecdotal
    I've read that too, but never saw it in practice. I have seen Win98 machines
    with 1GB, and they seem to have been fine.

    -John O

    JohnO, Jul 9, 2005
  13. I wonder if the motherboard could cache 1G...I didn't think 98 could
    handle that much. I know some people have problems when they go above
    512M, but I think there's a workaround. I'm somewhat out of touch with
    this (some people would say the same about me and reality). :)

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Jul 9, 2005
  14. My son's 11, playing in a 9-12 league.

    I hang around rec.sport.baseball a bit, and there are knowledgeable
    people there who could help...watch a few games, a few baseball
    movies.

    This may help, although the 2nd and 3rd links may put you to sleep
    unless you are a lawyer...

    http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/sports/A0856862.html

    http://www.sport-smart.com/little-league-baseball-rules/

    http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/official_info/official_rules/foreword.jsp

    There also is a "Baseball for Dummies" book, and one of the authors is
    MLB Hall of Famer Joe Morgan.

    I guess we're OT for long enough now...instead of bits we have
    bats...instead of Gigs we have gloves...instead of Megs we have
    mitts...instead of disk drives we have line drives...instead of RAM we
    have runs...instead of motherboards we have make-up games... :)

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Jul 9, 2005
  15. Dave Hardenbrook

    AG Guest

    It's more a function of the MB rather than 98. There were a bunch of P2 and
    Pentium systems where the MB wouldn't cache more than 256 Megs. More than
    that actually slowed the board down.

    AG

    AG, Jul 9, 2005
  16. Dave Hardenbrook

    JohnO Guest

    My son's 11, playing in a 9-12 league.

    That seems like a large age group...is there a big diff between the skills
    of the 12's and the 9's?

    (I coached 6-8 this year, and will coach 9-10 next)

    Sammy...don't worry, a bunch of kids don't understand the game so well
    either. I tried teaching force outs and tagging up for fly balls, and
    despite my ability to put it into age-appropriate language, and working with
    selected fast-learners, it was too complex for them. I think when you get
    older this stuff becomes even harder to understand. ;-)

    -John O

    JohnO, Jul 10, 2005
  17. There can be...typically the younger/less-experienced kids are put in
    the outfield, where they are least likely to get hurt by a line drive.
    Most start with T-ball at 5 or 6, then move on to Rookie (pitching
    machine) for a couple of years, so by the time they get to Mosquito
    they're okay with the speed of the pitching at least. Most
    smaller/younger kids are afraid to swing, and get walked a lot by the
    less-accurate pitchers. It's all about development, and protecting the
    more vulnerable kids at the same time.

    I know what you are saying about knowing the intricacies of the
    game...we have a bunch of new kids this year...they can throw, catch,
    and hit, but they are still learning the game, they don't know what to
    do in many situations. We even had a situation last year where an
    experienced kid got over-excited and took off from third on a
    sacrifice fly opportunity with the score tied in the bottom of the 6th
    (last) inning. We ended up 4th instead of 3rd because of it.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Jul 10, 2005
  18. Dave Hardenbrook

    Linker3000 Guest

    Try downloading and running Belarc Advisor and/or Everest Hoe Edition to
    get a good picture of the state of the system - especially CPU clock
    speed. There some good advice elwhere here in the thread but going off
    at a tangent, do check that the CPU fan hasn't come loose as some CPUs
    will downclock themselves if they sense they're getting too hot. Everest
    will show temp sensor values.

    Linker3000, Jul 10, 2005
  19. Thanks for the replies so far... I will be seeing my client later this
    week and will report back my findings...

    Dave Hardenbrook, Jul 11, 2005
  20. Dave Hardenbrook

    Linker3000 Guest

    Here's the missing 'm': m