Very misleading, unethical

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Airwerx, Oct 2, 2007.

  1. Airwerx

    Airwerx Guest

    I recently went on a mission to buy the best PC available for under
    $1,000.00 US... I did some homework prior to making what I thought was a
    good purchase.

    My objectives were simple. I wanted a 64-bit processor and a 64-bit
    operating system. I searched and searched and finally found the m8124n at
    Circuit City. This HP Media Center PC came with the 32-bit edition of
    Windows Vista Ultimate. I'd already read the following link
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/64bit.mspx
    where Microsoft states "Note: 64-bit media is included in the box with
    Windows Vista Ultimate."

    So, I made the purchase and arrived home expecting to find 64-bit software
    included in the box. After two unsucessful attempts to get the software from
    HP support I contacted Microsoft's Alternate Media support only to hear,
    "You'll need to shell out another $400.00 if you want 64-bit Windows Vista
    Ultimate software."

    I don't get it... Consumers cannot buy over the counter PC's without an
    operating system already installed. Those who want 64-bit Vista are forced
    to pay B.G. twice (double-dipping)... What kind of scam is this?

    Airwerx, Oct 2, 2007

  2. Airwerx

    John Barnes Guest

    Too bad you didn't post here before you purchased your computer. I don't
    know how many times, in this group and in the Vista groups it has been
    pointed out that OEM is either/or with respect to bitness. You however
    benefited from the cheaper OEM 32-bit version and now you can buy the 64-bit
    version for $200 or less for about the same amount you would have paid for a
    Retail version with both. Good luck. Make sure that you can get drivers
    for the 64-bit version for your computer and check about your software
    BEFORE you make another mistake.

    John Barnes, Oct 2, 2007

  3. Unfortunately you missed the line above:
    "If you bought Windows Vista Home Basic, Home Premium, or Business as
    a retail, packaged product,"
    "retail" is the key word.
    Since Windows Vista came with the computer, it is OEM and the OEMs and
    not Microsoft determines what they include with their products.

    "Consumers cannot buy over the counter..."
    Yes, you can and the best place to do so is usually a local shop.

    There are many differences between OEM and retail and this is one of
    the reasons you paid less for your retail.

    Return the computer and purchase what you need.

    Jupiter Jones [MVP], Oct 2, 2007
  4. Airwerx

    Airwerx Guest

    I hear you. What is the most upsetting is how consumers are treated. One
    would think that Vista Ultimate would be the same no matter how the consumer
    buys it. The word retail should have only one definition regardless of
    whether or not the purchase was for a box of DVD's or a fully assembled PC
    with the software already installed on the local disk.

    If Microsoft wants to sell different versions of the same edition of OS then
    consumers of PC's should have some choices of which version of the
    particular edition they buy.

    When I purchased this PC I paid a much greater price for a model with Vista
    Ultimate over the less expensive PC with Vista Home. The fact that this
    version of Vista Ultimate is less than the 'boxed' version is a matter for
    HP to address or the PC will be returned to the retailer...

    Airwerx, Oct 3, 2007
  5. Then returning is what you need to do.
    If Windows Vista were retail instead of OEM, you probably would have
    spent at least $100, but probably more than $200 for that same
    computer with Windows Vista Ultimate.

    "Vista Ultimate would be the same"
    It is, only the packaging differs.

    "consumers of PC's should have some choices"
    Consumers have the choices and more.
    They may need to purchase from a different seller to get the desired
    choice.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    Jupiter Jones [MVP], Oct 3, 2007
  6. Airwerx

    Airwerx Guest

    Thank you John,

    After a night or two I decided to take your advice. My OEM version of Vista
    Ultimate 64 is on its way. I'll scan this group and see what I can learn
    about dual or tri-boot. I installed Ubuntu awhile back on my old solo
    notebook (w/WinXP) and the single CD install disk took care of the new
    partition and installed the grub boot loader that works perfectly...

    Airwerx, Oct 6, 2007