VERY late followup - Why batteries in Walkmans don't last for very long.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by thanatoid, Jan 1, 2008.

  1. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    I can't remember who supplied the only knowledgeable reply to my
    question (of about a year or two ago) about why Walkmans eat
    batteries like they were candy, while a small Sony *radio with a
    5" speaker* works for a year on its set of batteries. The answer
    was, basically, "inefficiency". I didn't /quite/ buy it in spite
    of the person's obvious knowledge of electronics etc.

    I accidentally found the REAL reason. On this page:

    http://www.walkmancentral.com/products/wm-10

    In case you don't want to bother going there (very nice
    nostalgia site!), the answer is they use a DC-DC voltage step-up
    circuit required to run the extremely tiny and sophisticated
    electronics and motors. One component of the WM-F10 required 12
    volts! And it ran on ONE 1.5V AA battery (for about 5 hours).

    (My question was specifically about that one, one of the {IMO}
    greatest Sony inventions ever, cassette-box size, and the first
    - along with the (no radio) WM-10 - to use the earbud phones.)

    --
    The only cure for stupidity is death.
    The only cure for brilliance is death.

    thanatoid, Jan 1, 2008