    issue in 8 years that required a $70 suite of programs to fix them. A
    properly maintained WindowsXP system doesn't require a bloated set of Norton
    utilities.

    Thor, May 23, 2004

  2. Paul

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    Yeah,

    I defrag my computer almost every week even though it doesn't really need it
    and update my AV and spyware progs every week. But I just want a program to
    check my comp to see if there is any problems that im unaware of.

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, May 23, 2004

  3. Paul

    Thor Guest

    You are already doing all you really need to do (although the defrag
    schedule is a bit excessively frequent, IMHO). This is one reason I don't
    like NU. People use it to scan their systems, and it makes all kinds of
    recommendations for registry changes etc. and people just jump right in and
    "FIX" their computer with it when it isn't presenting any symptoms of a
    problem, and after "fixing" the problem with NU, they suddenly have stuff
    crashing, or not functioning properly because NU screwed up something. If
    it's running your programs ok, then leave it alone and stop worrying about
    it. XP hardly needs the extra supervision.

    Thor, May 23, 2004
  4. Paul

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    Thor,

    Why do you hate NU so much?, XP might not need it but Win 98 does. I used
    98 for years on my old comp and after fixing the problem with NU 2001 every
    thing worked better.

    P.S. I have XP SP1 installed on my computer, it's 133 mb it took me ages to
    download. Do you know when SP2 is out or is it already out?

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, May 23, 2004
  5. Paul

    Ken Guest

    Ken, May 23, 2004
  6. Paul

    Jim Berwick Guest

    I used 98 for years also (still have it on one of my machines that is
    currently out of service), and it has never needed a third party software
    to be maintained. There is nothing NU does that is essential for any
    version of Windows. If you feel secure having it, keep it, but it doesn't
    change the fact that it is junk. What "problems" did you fix with NU?

    Jim Berwick, May 23, 2004
  7. Paul

    Thor Guest

    If you had to repair people's computers for a living like I do, and you saw
    the amount of crap that Norton software suites puts on a computer (try
    manually removing it sometime when Nortons own uninstaller fails), and how
    often it screws them up, you wouldn't be asking me that question. Just
    yesterday I removed Norton Internet Security 2001 from a system where it was
    causing repeated lockups when the user went online and tried to browse.

    Thor, May 23, 2004
  8. Paul

    Jim Berwick Guest

    Thor,
    I see at least two cases a day where someone has NIS 200x and for
    whatever reason it craps out and blocks everything. They dial up and
    connect, but:
    I can't ping them
    They can't ping us
    They can't do any DNS lookups
    They blame me

    I actually have to walk them through uninstalling NIS and then after a
    reboot we go "Oh hey, look, it works <mute> Stupid jackass tell me I
    don't know what I'm doing </mute> Yeah I'm glad we got that solved, have
    a nice night"

    Jim Berwick, May 23, 2004
  9. Paul

    Thor Guest

    I've had to deal with the situation a few times now where NIS corrupted the
    TCP/IP stack, and that had to be rebuilt. Uninstalling NIS did no good in
    those cases.

    Thor, May 23, 2004
  10. Paul

    Trent© Guest

    I had one the other day where Norton would NOT let me uninstall it. I
    had to go to their site...and download both the NIS and the NAV
    uninstall utilities.

    Then I went back in and deleted all the virii and trojans that these
    programs had let in.

    But...like I said before...

    I $till think that people should continue u$ing these program$. Ju$t
    give them a chance. I don't think any of thi$ i$ the program$' fault.
    lol

    Have a nice week...

    Trent©

    Trent©, May 24, 2004