    Anti-Virus and I have XP firewall switched on. Am I doing the right things
    or should I be running anything else? I just want my computer to run as best
    as it can. What do you think?

    Paul, May 21, 2004

  2. Paul

    Ralph Guest

    I have Mcafee AV & Firewall as well as Adaware and never have a bit of
    problems.

    Ralph, May 21, 2004

  3. Paul

    HF Guest

    HF, May 21, 2004
  4. Paul

    Global_Killa Guest

    The spyware programs that you have should do the job fine, I wouldn't use
    any of the Norton applications (just my preference, from what I have used
    and tested). Norton Utilities doesn't really offer much, and you may find it
    will create more problems than you had to begin with.

    A lot of people recommend AVG Anti-Virus software, I use Quick Heal. Always
    done the job for me, and you don't even know its running.

    I would change your firewall from Zone Alarm, I have used this and just
    didn't get along with it. I use Outpost, I have found this to be a very good
    firewall. Set the rules for the applications you want, and then select Block
    Most, the firewall doesn't bother you again and keeps your computer safe =)
    ..

    Other than that, I use System Mechanic. Just to keep my hard drive clean and
    to clean out the registry every few months.
    I also use jv16 Power Tools to clean my registry.

    Remember to use Windows own cleanup, this will get rid of any useless files
    on your hard drive.
    Defrag your hard drive about once a month if your computer has heavy use. I
    find that this helps to speed things up. I perform a scan disk every month
    aswell, just to make sure everything is fine.

    A lot of people are saying that Diskeep is good for defragging, but I didn't
    find this. Maybe worth a look if people are talking about it.
    I found that it hangs my computer when it try's to defrag big files (700+ mb
    files such as disk images, movies, etc).

    Some people say that RAM optimizer programs help speed things up. But
    everyone that I've tried so far, after a while of use, I think it slows my
    computer down, and doesn't help.
    The only use I have found for them is when you leave your computer
    downloading, etc, for a long period of time. They stop your machine from
    running out of virtual memory.
    But when you are actively using the computer, I wouldn't recommended having
    one running.

    Hope this helped,

    Global_Killa, May 21, 2004
  5. Paul

    HonestJohn Guest

    Run Defrag reguarly if your hard drive is badly defragmented.

    Programs and processes running in the background can be a big problem, too.
    Disable
    any programs that launch with Windows, that you are not using. You really
    only need your firewall, virus checker and any must-have utilities, the rest
    are almost certainly sapping your memory and CPU power. With a freeware
    utility like MaxMem, which you can download
    from:http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/system/maxmem.htm
    you can keep an eye on your PC's memory usage, and free
    up lost memory.

    Also, the XP firewall is a good first level of defence and should foil most
    attempts to infiltrate your PC from the outside but it offers no protection
    against malicious spyware or adware programs on your PC.

    ZoneAlarm (www.zonelabs.com) and Agnitum Outpost
    (http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost/), both do an excellent job as a
    more powerful firewall, to protect the hijacking of your Internet connection
    and sending private or personal data from your computer.

    HonestJohn, May 21, 2004
  6. Paul

    Night_Seer Guest

    It is my preference also...Norton has screwed to many things up before. I
    use PcCillin, and only had one problem which tech support walked me
    completely through and did everything they could to fix it. It comes with a
    firewall these days, but I uninstall it because it is pretty much useless.
    Another good free AV program is Avast, which I use on different computers.
    Avast can be set up to update automatically so all it does is notify you
    that its been updated. With AVG you have to go through a few clicks to get
    it to update. This might be better for non techie coputer users.
    I agree I used Zone Alarm of r a year or two and it progressively got worse
    for me, usually with specific programs, plus it just got more and more
    bloated as it was upgraded. I ended up switching to Kerio Personal
    Firewall, and I really do love this firewall, because not only does it tell
    you about traffic on your computer, but it also lets you know when one
    program is trying to run another, which is good for preventing trojans and
    viruses. I wouldn't recomend it to a novice though as it brings a lot more
    pop-ups about whats going on with your system than most people will
    understand. A good free firewall that I recomend is Sygate Personal
    firewall. This will protect incoming and outgoing traffic and isn't such a
    hog.
    One last thing I like to use is a system startup alert. I can't think of
    the name of the program ATM, but its a tiny little program (I really mean
    tiny) that you never know is running until any other program tries to
    register itself in any startup proces. It lets you know that this program
    is doing this, and asks you if its ok or to prevent it.

    Night_Seer, May 21, 2004
  7. Paul

    Stuart Guest

    Turn the XP firewall off and use ZoneAlarm, if they are both running
    together then there could be conflicts.

    Stuart

    Stuart, May 21, 2004
  8. Paul

    Global_Killa Guest

    Quick Heal also allows auto update, you set how often you want it to update.
    I have mine set to every 6 hours.

    Outpost firewall shows you a lot of information about the programs that are
    using your Internet connection. And comes with plugins that allow you to
    block ads on websites, and other things.

    Quick Heal anti-virus does this for me. If something new is added to start
    with Windows, it will ask if you want to allow it or delete it from the
    startup list.

    Global_Killa, May 21, 2004
  9. Paul

    ProfGene Guest

    Make sure you scandisk and defrag at least once a week because a fragmented
    hard drive if left alone can cause serious problems.

    ProfGene, May 22, 2004
  10. Paul

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    When I was running Win 98 I used Norton Utilities 2001 and that fixed every
    problem I ever had but it's not compatible with XP and every one says that
    Norton 2004 is a load of BS. Does any one know if system mechanic is any
    good before I buy it?

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, May 22, 2004
  11. Paul

    Jim Berwick Guest

    NU 2001 is trash also. There is no mechanic program that is worth it's
    weight.

    Jim Berwick, May 22, 2004
  12. Paul

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    2001 is not trash, what are you basis this on? is it because it couldn't
    fix one particular problem you had.

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, May 22, 2004
  13. Paul

    Thor Guest

    Well, I would agree with Jim, because in the 8 years I've been working on
    PCs for a living, I've found that in general NU (any version) causes more
    problems that it fixes. You shouldn't need such bloatware utilities if you
    just use the tools that come with windows to keep your harddrive
    maintenenced (defrag, scandisk, disk cleanup wizard) and use a decent
    antivirus program, and do an occasional spyware scan. There is nothing in NU
    that is essential for computers, and no compelling reason to have it's load
    of crap resident components running in the background hogging resources and
    memory all the time (which just increase the odds of a crash or conflict).
    Norton Internet Security (any version) is just as bad, if not worse, and NAV
    2004 is a bug-ridden piece of trash.

    Thor, May 22, 2004
  14. Paul

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    When you install NU 2001 you have a option to have it running in the
    background or not, as for NIS its a good firewall but I also have ZoneAlarm
    Pro 4.5 running.

    ZoneAlarm 4.5 Phones home without you knowing but you can disable that by
    chamging a few registry entries.

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, May 23, 2004
  15. Paul

    Trent© Guest

    Not ANY version! Peter's original stuff was generally excellent. And
    some of it still works!! lol
    Norton's AV stuff has ALWAYS been junk!

    I just got done with a machine that had 6 trojans and 4 other virii on
    it...that Norton didn't even know was there. EZ Trust found them and
    deleted them with hardly a problem.

    The only bear was win32.mersting.b I had a HELL of a time gettin'
    that one to go away. lol

    I wound up uninstalling NIS and NAV...and everything ran well after
    that.

    Personally, I hope Norton stuff stays around for a long time. I need
    the money!

    Have a nice week...

    Trent©

    Trent©, May 23, 2004
  16. Paul

    Trent© Guest

    Kerio Personal Firewall is good also...and pretty simple.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent©

    Trent©, May 23, 2004
  17. Paul

    bearman Guest

    The original Norton Utilities (earlies 80s) was a great program. Things
    turned to shit about the time Symantec took over. NAV 2004 just plain
    sucks, at least for my Win98SE computer. Slowed everything down a bunch and
    took forever to do a LiveUpdate. Uninstalled it and am now using AVG.

    Bearman

    bearman, May 23, 2004
  18. Paul

    Thor Guest

    Well, let me clarify, any version since the first Win95-specific version. I
    agree the DOS stuff was fine.
    I use the business version E-trust. It's great, but CA has dealt dialup
    users a raw deal in the last few months by setting their FTP update server
    to timeout early on slow connections. The net effect is that people with a
    slow dialup connection virtually never get the automatic updates. Broadband
    users never have a problem. Pretty pathetic that their server can't even let
    someone with a 28.8 connection download a 600k update file without timing
    out before completion. Really has me steamed, because many of my customers
    that have E-Trust also use dialup.
    I have found NAV 2K1, 2K2, and 2K3 trouble-free for the most part, but 2K4
    is a goddamn nightmare.

    Thor, May 23, 2004
  19. Paul

    Thor Guest

    Yes you can do that, but it still doesn't mitigate the fact that NU is utter
    crap. Disabling the background tasks is only a marginal improvement in the
    situation. Like spraypainting a turd a more agreeable color.

    Thor, May 23, 2004
  20. Paul

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    I haven't tried NU 2002 up-wards but NU 2001 was great it fixed every
    problem I had on Win 98, the newer versions might be rubbish but NU 2001 is
    a good prog. So what software do you recommend to fix problem on XP except
    the progs that come with it scan disk etc.?

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, May 23, 2004