Very basic notebook wireless questions

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by MB_, Sep 8, 2005.

  1. MB_

    MB_ Guest

    OK... I see by the Dell site that my laptop has shipped and will be here
    tomorrow. That's pretty good since I ordered it 1 week ago!

    I currently have a Dell Dim 2400 in the basement. My intent is to use the
    notebook upstairs utilizing my broadband connection to my downstairs
    desktop. I've already installed the linksys router (WRT54G) and I'm hoping
    the signal will reach my notebook one floor above.

    My bunch of VERY BASIC questions are:

    1) I assume I can password protect my laptop (very minimal protection in
    case of theft, I know). Is that done via the BIOS set-up?

    2) Is there a way that I can access the DATA on my Desktop's C drive via my
    laptop's wireless connection? Can I access that data and then do stuff and
    save the new file directly on to my desktop's C drive? If so, how does the
    laptop distinguish between its own C drive and the desktop's C drive.

    3) Since I have my router set up, is there any special set-up for my laptop?
    In other words, how will it recognize the signal? Do I have to give it a
    command or will it just pop up. Incidentally, I've done the encryption
    (WEP???) with a 10-digit "password" and I gave it a wireless name. So, will
    I need to type in this password when the laptop recognizes the wireless
    signal. If so, can the laptop "memorize" the password after the first time?

    That's it for starters. I know this must be a lot of very basic, but I've
    never owned a laptop or done anything wireless. This newsgroup has been a
    great source of information!

    Mel

    MB_, Sep 8, 2005

  2. MB_

    Duane Arnold Guest

    The laptop should have like a *Password on boot* at least my Compaq has
    that, which can be set via the BIOS.
    It's call File Sharing with the Windows O/S and you create a Share/Folder
    on the computer's <C> so that other machines can access the data on the
    computer's Share folder access the network.

    This <C> on one machine and the <C> you should not concern yourself with
    it. The O/S will take care of it. BTW, you make no mention of the O/S(s)
    being ised on both machines. I'll assume it's XP.

    http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/guidshrh.htm

    No put down to you but maybe you need to fine one of those O/S books for
    Dummies and read a couple of chapters.
    You should be using WPA if possible as it's the latest in wireless
    encryption technology. Whether you're using WEP or WPA keys, that
    information is being stored on the computer via the card's driver that
    you must have configured at some point and the computer will use that
    information to match to the router's information automatically.
    http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wirelesssecurity/tp/wifisecurity.htm

    You should follow some of the advice in the link and look at the
    Authenticated User Group and Everyone Group concerning File Shares.

    http://labmice.techtarget.com/articles/winxpsecuritychecklist.htm

    There is a link for Win 2K too.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Sep 8, 2005

  3. MB_

    Mitch Guest

    I think Windows normally does that.
    I'm sure there is a way to do it in BIOS which would be much much more
    secure, but I doubt most people do it.
    Simple -- it doesn't go by the name of the drive.
    Your computers will have network addresses as devices, and the
    components of those computers will be available.
    You simply turn on "file sharing" on both machines.
    I think you have a good idea of all of that.
    Once you use it there you will either get a note of an available
    network, or be able to find the network by going to your networking
    options settings.

    Mitch, Sep 9, 2005