versions of XP, which to use

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by les, Mar 8, 2008.

  1. les

    les Guest

    This has stirred quite a lot of questions in me now whether buying a used
    machine was worth the effort.
    Obviously, I could have found an Emachine with an activated OS already
    running for a couple hundred more than what I paid !!

    Well, back to my next comment/question.
    I bought this box specifically to do HD video editing, and had purchased a
    Sony
    app as well. I have other boxes for mundane operations, and for internet
    connection. So realistically, this IBM needs no reason to see a network.
    With that said, how will this effect me, if I don't get the activation issue
    solved? After 30 days do I see a puff of smoke? :)

    From the threads I see that OEM stuff can be problematic, and unless I
    had an OEM disk from IBM, I could possibly be beating my head
    anyway. A retail disk might be the ONLY answer, Pro version.
    I'd consider dumping MS altogether except I just invested in a nice
    Sony editor app for Winblows. This has created another angry
    reaction in me about why I shouldn't migrate to Linux................
    ......my apologies to you all in this XP site.

    Les

    les, Mar 9, 2008

  2. You need Service Pack 2. Period. The CD you have might already have SP2, but
    you need a Product Code Key. Period.

    You can buy an OS for $130 that has everything you need.

    Jeff Strickland, Mar 9, 2008

  3. les

    Baron Guest

    If the IBM machine you have obtained, has attached to it a COA showing
    XP-Pro with the key number printed on it, then you need an XP-Pro oem
    or retail CD. I'm sure that you must know someone that has one. Or
    visit your local mom & pop shop. For a small fee they will probably
    install it for you. Then the first thing you do is to back it up.

    By the way this group is alt.computer not alt.xp.

    Baron, Mar 9, 2008
  4. les

    philo Guest

    That's odd...
    I often install win2k on old servers I get with two cpu's

    never had a problem

    Anyway, if you want to use both CPU's you will need XP pro
    as XP home will only recognize one CPU.

    However if you don't really need two CPU's might as well just stick with XP
    home.

    Though you'd need XP pro if you'd need to use your machine on a domain
    or to install Microsoft's virtual machine...XP Home is otherwise pretty much
    the same OS

    philo, Mar 9, 2008
  5. les

    tony sayer Guest

    Isn't WIN 2k the same as XP with all the crap turned off;?..

    tony sayer, Mar 9, 2008
  6. les

    relic Guest

    XP is built on W2K (which was built on NT), but it isn't "the same."

    relic, Mar 9, 2008