Verizon Wireless cell phone -> Cisco Console Port?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Jeff P, Nov 29, 2004.

  1. Jeff P

    Jeff P Guest

    Hello,

    While I was away over the weekend, I got online by connecting my Verizon
    Wireless cell phone to the serial port on my laptop. I understand the cell
    phone simulates a modem but the actual modem is at the wireless carrier's
    facility. There's no extra charges for the data call except for using your
    normal plan minutes.

    While I was using this, it occurred to me that maybe I could plug a cell
    phone into the console port on the router since they are both serial ports.
    I have been thinking about doing an installation in a very remote location
    that has no telephone lines at all. Could I just leave a cell phone up
    there, and dial into it from a computer elsewhere to access the router as
    though I were connected locally to the console port? Has anyone tried this?

    Thanks,
    Jeff

    Jeff P, Nov 29, 2004

  2. While I was using this, it occurred to me that maybe I could plug a cell
    I've tried it.
    It works fine in one condition - modem in cell phone must understand AT
    Hayes commands.
    For example Nokia 62xx/63xx is perfect.

    Few days ago I've even done a dialout backup with DDR when ethernet
    connection is broken and router don't get gateway by RIP.
    So I think that cell phones are good enought for dialin to the router and
    automatic dialout on demand.
    For remote acces it's perfect solution.

    Adam Wo³k-Jankowski, Nov 30, 2004

  3. Jeff P

    Stevie Guest

    I don't think many Verizon phones have data cables with serial connectors
    anymore. I believe they all terminate in a USB connector. Which phone
    were you using that had a serial connector?

    Stevie, Nov 30, 2004
  4. Jeff P

    Jeff P Guest

    Oh sorry, I should have mentioned I'm using an older AudioVox CDM-9000. I
    refuse to upgrade to a newer "toy" phone for fear of losing reception in
    areas of week coverage. The phone I have now has a large antenna and works
    great in such areas. I know for a fact I have tried phones that were total
    crap in such areas, but the cell phone company's reps all try to tell me
    that all of their phones get a perfect reception regardless of make, model,
    or location. I really think that a lot of these people have never been more
    than 10 miles from a freeway in their lifetime.

    -Jeff

    Jeff P, Dec 1, 2004