Verizon TLS (Q in Q) multicast challenge

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by keithdew, Feb 22, 2006.

  1. keithdew

    keithdew Guest

    We currently utilize the Verizon TLS (Transparent LAN Service) for our
    WAN. Each of our sites employs either a 1Gbps or 100Mbps Ethernet
    circuit. Each site also employs an ATM connection (various speeds) for
    an additional circuit at each site for redundancy.

    Our current TLS product is the EMS offering which utilizes "Q in Q"
    stacking hence giving the TLS WAN a "flat/shared" look regardless
    of how many Dot1Q Layer 3 interfaces (we use 2 per site) that we use on
    the (edge) routers that connect to the TLS. We knew that QoS may be an
    issue on TLS as well so all of our VoIP rides over the ATM with TLS as
    a failover.

    Our current challenge now is enabling multicast on the TLS network.
    However, by virtue of the Q in Q stacking, all sites on the TLS will
    get a copy of any multicast stream that is currently active due to the
    lack of any intelligence (i.e. IGMP snooping) in the TLS cloud.
    Although a site might not have a subscriber for the multicast stream,
    the edge router must still process the frame and drop it at the door
    step (router int). As you can imagine, the amount of multicast
    "noise" on the TLS could be exponential due to the lack of layer 2
    / pruning intelligence in the cloud. Tag stacking (Q in Q) actually
    exasperates the problem.

    I would like to know if anyone has any experience with this situation
    and what remediation measures may have been taken. We actually could
    try to force the multicast on the ATM but it's an incredible effort
    due to the possible RPF failures. We are also going to inquire into the
    TLS ERS offering that I believe provides EVC's (point to point) that
    may also help with QoS as well.

    The TLS performance (speed) is unparalleled, however, but falls short
    in the QoS and multicast control arena.

    Keith

    keithdew, Feb 22, 2006

  2. keithdew

    Merv Guest

    Take a look at Multicast Source Discovery Protocol (MSDP).

    You would need to define each remote site as a separate AS, but that
    could be done using private AS numbers which range from 64512 to 65535.

    Merv, Feb 22, 2006