Vegas Strip -night shots with digital cameras

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Pam, Dec 13, 2003.

  1. Pam

    Pam Guest

    (note this is being posted in both alt.vacation.las-vegas and
    rec.photo.digital)
    please post replies to groups.

    Andrew, sorry for changing things around. Thought we might get more
    help by using two newsgroups at once.

    This is exactly what I was about to ask. I'm about to take a
    trip to Vegas, and I am excited about getting some great night shots
    of the Xmas decorations on the Strip. I do NOT need advice on what to
    take pix of. I need general advice on HOW to take pix at night. I have
    a Nikon 5700 digital I'm very happy with. Give us some general advice
    on how to get hte best pix. Can I use the automatic mode, or should I
    make settings for night, or what? TIA!

    Wife and I hope to be down in early Feb. Need advice on taking night
    shots around the strip and maybe downtown. With the dark backgrounds
    and and bright changing lights taking a pic will be a challenge.
    Andrew said he didn't need advice on what to shoot, is there anything
    you've tried to shoot but unable to get a good pic? Should I even
    bother with the light show on Freemont Street? We have a Kodak
    DX4530.

    -Steve

    PS: Are there any cybercafes near the strip where I can plug in my SD
    card in and send the pics to an online data storage site? Can anyone
    recommend any free storage sites? I don't want to leave my PC on for
    a week with no one at home...

    Pam, Dec 13, 2003

  2. Pam

    Goldriver Guest

    Go to http://www.freeserve.co.uk/ click on digital photos, it take a few
    minutes to register - you get 30MB free of charge and can increase to
    100MB - however, you can store unlimited pictures on the temporary album,
    but to load lots of pictures its best to use an FTP transfer program -Photos
    will only stay in the Temporary Print Album for two weeks. Then they will be
    automatically deleted. By contrast, photos in your normal albums will stay
    there indefinitely* until you choose to delete them.

    hope this helps - you can check out some of my photos in the public album at
    http://photos.freeserve.com/album/album_contact.html?c_album=487048

    Hope this helps

    Vic

    Goldriver, Dec 13, 2003

  3. Pam

    Goldriver Guest

    Goldriver, Dec 13, 2003
  4. Pam

    Arthur Guest

    Look for the Digital Picture Postcard selling for around $10 or so
    containing 250 professional pictures of LV and surrounding areas. I
    bought one on my last trip and am happy with it. Then you can
    concentrate more on the fun and personal memory pictures.

    I've never been to LV during Xmas but why not do some test pictures in
    Fla where they certainly must do holiday lights.

    btw, just say "We no do no Time Share" to that hustle.

    arthur

    Arthur, Dec 17, 2003
  5. Pam

    S Casey Guest

    FWIW, and this may be obvious, but bring a tripod and set your camera
    to manual shutter speed mode (if it has one). As you're both digital,
    take a few test shots at various shutter speeds (probably no more than
    half a second, but you can get some great effect with longer times!),
    and choose which one you like the most.

    This method won't work well with the freemont street experience lights
    as they're too fast. You can of course still try and go as fast a
    shutter speed as possible while still making things out.

    The major thing that cameras will always have problems with is extreme
    differences in brightness (which the human eye takes in it's stride),
    so picking out details of people while pointing directly at neon may
    not be possible.

    Good luck with it, I've some great photos of Hong Kong with my digital
    camera. One useful item might be a polarising filter. It'll mean you
    can shoot through glass with less reflections (eg, from the top of the
    strat etc.) I don't know if your camera can take them though I'd
    assume a nikon should be able to.

    S Casey, Dec 17, 2003
  6. Pam

    HRosita Guest

    Hi,

    Vegas lights almost make the night into day so you will have to use your
    judgement about shutter speed. Make sure you turn your flash off. Also check
    the NY Institute of Photography home page. They have an article about taking
    pictures of Christmas lights that might help here is the url:

    http://www.nyip.com/tips/topic_holidaylights02.php
    Rosita

    HRosita, Dec 17, 2003
  7. Pam

    gregs Guest

    A little trick of mine. Always set to underexpose. When automatic setting is
    used, lights will always overexpose and oversaturate, ruining resolution
    and color. Set the exposure from -1 to -2. You should also process the picture in
    a editor. Bring up the gamma, or mid ranges, to your liking. This will compensate
    for the underexposure but keep brights within limits of overexposure. I often shoot
    from the hands, but a small tripod will help you out, no doubt.
    Some older pics I shot here..............

    http://www.pitt.edu/~szekeres/web/page_01.htm

    I didn't get a chance last trip to take many shots using my my new Minolta F300, one of the sharpest
    cameras around. I did get a new night shot from the Stratosphere here............

    http://www.pitt.edu/~szekeres/sub/stratn.jpg

    greg

    gregs, Dec 18, 2003
  8. Pam

    bodkin Guest

    I got very good results with a Kodak DC4800 with no adjustments - just
    pointed and shot. I also have now bought a Nikon 5700, and I definitely
    second the suggestion about underexposing -2. If you shoot with normal
    exposure you'll get really ugly shots with the Nikon 5700.

    bodkin, Dec 27, 2003