    a change.

    Were I work a lot of people sing the praises of a company called
    Microtik, but they are Ethernet only so you would need to keep the BT modem.

    grinch, Sep 7, 2014

  2. Phil W Lee

    Mark Guest

    I guess this depends on what kind of change. A major configuration
    change would be OK for a reboot but not adding a MAC address filter.

    Having looked at the specifications I don't think any are duel-band
    wireless 'n', which I really want.
    I'd prefer a single box. Especially as my sync rate seems to be
    dropping.

    Mark, Sep 7, 2014

  3. I hate all in one because the chances of finding one with good router
    firmware and a good modem seem to be low. Third party firmware for
    combined modem routers is very rare while many routers without modems
    can be flashed with dd-wrt or similar when you find out, as one often
    does, that the manufacturers firmware was designed and/or tested by
    trained monkeys, and not even ones that were trained in how networks work.

    Brian Gregory, Sep 7, 2014
  4. Phil W Lee

    Mark Guest

    You recon the monkeys were trained? I used to go for a 'separates'
    solution in most cases but if you use multiple network devices then
    you'll need to deal with multiple groups of bugs and probably have an
    even bigger headache. Most of the development is now on combined
    devices and hence there is a bigger choice there. I'd had decent ADSL
    routers/wifi access points so I don't see why noone can produce a good
    one for VDSL(2).

    Mark, Sep 7, 2014
  5. Maybe he got the tense wrong and meant that there *will be* a bigger
    choice of combined devices, thanks to the fact that most of the
    development is so directed (if it is).

    Let's hope so. It went that way with ADSL, so as demand increases for
    VDSL perhaps the manufacturers will offer more choice here too.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Sep 7, 2014
  6. I can remember my first installation of 'always on' internet.

    £1500 of CISCO router and ISDN.

    So new that no one knew how to make it work, so I phoned up CISCO in
    the US and was told to enter a magic spell in the configuration.

    "How do you know it will work?"

    "Because I spent 6 months in Europe writing the software and testing it".

    So new was it, that only this one man in Cisco knew it as well.

    Then we got ADSL and within a year or too there were hundreds of ADSL
    pieces of shit consumer rubbish.,

    It will happen with VDSL. in time.

    I can wait.

    The Natural Philosopher, Sep 8, 2014
  7. Phil W Lee

    Andy Burns Guest

    A Proteon GTsecure router/firewall with a 33.6kbps modem on a Centrex
    line acting as an "extension" to our ISP's modem rack, nailed up 24x7.

    It allowed us to use the /24 I'd registered about 6 years earlier
    through JANET, I've only just given that /24 back to RIPE.

    Andy Burns, Sep 8, 2014