VDSL Router that can handle /29 subnet

Discussion in 'Broadband' started by Phil W Lee, Aug 30, 2014.

  1. You could have run RIP or OSPF :)

    The Natural Philosopher, Sep 1, 2014

  2. Phil W Lee

    Phil W Lee Guest

    But that's on a 2860, rather than the (half the cost) 2760, yes?

    Phil W Lee, Sep 1, 2014

  3. Phil W Lee

    Bob Eager Guest

    Yes. The 2760 lacks a few things. Not so many ports. No IP routed subnet,
    and no static routes.

    Bob Eager, Sep 1, 2014
  4. I can't believe I am hearing this: Routers that one expects to be -
    well routers- are expensive AND just noddy 'connect your home to the
    internet' gear?

    Maybe I've been lucky with my choices.

    The Natural Philosopher, Sep 1, 2014
  5. Phil W Lee

    Bob Eager Guest

    It has quite a few other bells and whistles, but that's exactly why I got
    the 2860 instead.

    Bob Eager, Sep 1, 2014
  6. If the BT Box is an HG612 then it's simple to flash it with unlocked
    firmware and set it up so that the second Ethernet port gives access for
    configuration and statistics.

    Brian Gregory, Sep 2, 2014
  7. Phil W Lee

    Phil W Lee Guest

    But then what happens if it goes pear-shaped, and an engineer finds
    I've been mucking about with it?

    If I just get a separate all-in-one, I can swap the whole lot back on
    demand.

    Phil W Lee, Sep 2, 2014
  8. Phil W Lee

    Mark Guest

    I'm considering this one myself but it does have a few poor reviews on
    Amazon.

    Mark, Sep 4, 2014
  9. Always worth a read.

    Especially the negative ones.

    The Natural Philosopher, Sep 4, 2014
  10. Phil W Lee

    Mark Guest

    In this case, yes. In some other Amazon reviews some people give a
    poor review because of something completely unrelated to the product.

    Mark, Sep 4, 2014
  11. I always read the negative reviews, if only to eliminate the
    irrelevant ones (wrong item, damaged in the post, etc), or the ones
    that suggest the issue is really with the user's expertise rather than
    the equipment itself. However in this case, sadly they mostly look
    genuine to me, which is a surprise because Asus products are usually
    very good - my main PC motherboard and my laptop for instance. It's a
    shame, because it would be nice to have everything in one box, and
    this one does look neat.

    The problems that some reviewers describe seem to be mostly to do with
    the DSL connection, while others have no problems, so maybe the modem
    works well on a good line but is not very good at adapting to
    different line conditions? It might be safest to assume for now that
    Openreach have opted for the unit that gives the fewest callbacks
    because they have to connect them to all sorrts of lines, and just
    keep to that.

    Oh well, next version perhaps, if it's not too expensive.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Sep 4, 2014
  12. remember that everyone has a problem with their dsl connection.

    Buying a new router wont solve a dirty line.

    And the use to which its put is relevant: i have a cxheap TPloink - fast
    as anything, and easy to get working.

    Until you put more than one C on it. Or try to actually get it to act a
    as a firewall.

    I gave up completely. I concluded that actually, most of its 'features'
    didn't actually work. and it didn't have enough RAM to really deal with
    multiple connections

    For a couple of occasional users -perfect. For tow busy bloggers,
    uploadeders with a third on wifi plus server it was crap.

    The Natural Philosopher, Sep 4, 2014
  13. True, but the equipment under discussion is a router and a VDSL modem
    combined, thus offering the chance to replace two boxes with one. This
    would be my main reason for wanting to change, because the modem
    supplied to me by Openreach seems to perform pretty well, but
    unfortunately, the available evidence would seem to suggest that the
    modem included in the Asus unit is not as good.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Sep 4, 2014
  14. Phil W Lee

    Phil W Lee Guest

    In my case, it's the single box/single power supply factor, coupled
    with the fact that I've got very used to being able to see, measure
    and record line stats, in order to know what problems I may have on
    the line, and if either the line or the modem can be tweaked to
    improve matters.
    On ADSL2+, being able to see exactly what's going on has allowed me to
    gradually improve my synch and actual data throughput speeds to over
    25% higher than they were to start with, and double those of any of my
    immediate neighbours, who I share the same telephone pole (and
    therefore almost all of the local loop) with.
    Given what people typically pay for increased speed, I reckon that
    ability is a very good return on investment.

    I'm running on the Openroach supplied, Kelly "installed" (he didn't do
    much except take it out of the box and plug it in - I had to
    reconfigure the existing TG582n router to suit, and he escaped before
    I'd even had a chance to confirm that I could actually access the
    internet.
    Still, it is working, and speed test sites are showing performance
    which is reasonable, although not exceptional.

    Phil W Lee, Sep 5, 2014
  15. Agreed. It would be nice to be able to see the technical details, as
    used to be possible with most ADSL modems, but the price of one of the
    few VDSL units that can do this is rather a lot just to know the sync
    speed, however interesting it would be.

    But as you say, speed test sites can show the actual data transfer
    rates, which is better than nothing. The TG582n can at least show the
    uptime, the number of days since the last reset, currently showing as
    19 days here, and occasionally exceeding 30 days, and I have got into
    a routine of checking this every morning and then only checking the
    speed with www.speedtest.net if it ever drops to zero. When this
    happens, the router log invariably shows the reset to have occurred at
    about the same time in the small hours of the morning, from which I
    conclude it is deliberate, and therefore connected with some kind of
    routine maintenance rather than a fault, so I'm happy with things as
    they are for the time being.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Sep 5, 2014
  16. I agree. I don't even monitor any more manually: I have a cron script
    that snmp (or whatever means is possible) interrogates the router and
    dumps the data into a database, with a web application to display it in
    dials and graphs.

    If I get any issues I have a look at that.

    e.g.

    http://vps.templar.co.uk/Odds and Ends/router.png

    The dirty part is writing the code to pull the data out of whatever
    router is the current one.

    The Natural Philosopher, Sep 5, 2014
  17. Phil W Lee

    grinch Guest

    As will any half decent router .

    grinch, Sep 6, 2014
  18. Phil W Lee

    Phil W Lee Guest

    And a really good one will allow you to play with some of the
    parameters.

    But the most important point is that if something isn't working, you
    can still see the line details on your router, even when you can't
    even reach your ISP.

    For the techies among us, this means we can assist the ISP with
    detailed line data when calling their tech support (although you
    probably need to swap the Openroach box back in for when the engineer
    visits, at least until a full wires only install is made available).

    Phil W Lee, Sep 6, 2014
  19. Billion I had, had best tunables ever, and it did snmp for monitoring too.

    10 out of 10 for functionality. 2 out of 10 for user interface. Totally
    random where you found the thing to tweak any given parameter.

    The Natural Philosopher, Sep 6, 2014
  20. Phil W Lee

    Mark Guest

    I'm currently looking at Zyxel's offerrings, but haven't made a
    decision yet.

    Mark, Sep 7, 2014