    but I've seen them so many times, I don't feel like buying them on DVD.

    Just wondering how long the manufactures will be making the dual
    players, DVD/VCRs.

    beckola, Jan 29, 2006

  2. I'd (generously) give it another 3-5 years.
    I haven't purchased one since 2000, and I almost never use them, and only
    keep them because I haven't dubbed all my old vhs tapes to DVD-R.
    Regarding replacing your VHS movies with DVD's, you might want to look at
    the cheap bins at Walmart, that might make you change your mind.
    Sooner or later, those VHS copies will wear out or get eaten by your VCR.

    Joseph S. Powell, III, Jan 29, 2006

  3. VCR's were largely disposable several years ago. I would think if you
    have a very large collection of good stuff you definately want to keep,
    you might look into buying a number of VCR's and storing them for
    future use. I would think if you were handy it would make sense to buy
    all the same model and then cannablilize them for parts as they go
    down. Say you bought ten of them. I would think you could keep them
    going for a good many years. Heck, up until recordable DVD got going
    people were still trading hi end Betamaxes on Ebay because of their
    technical superiority to VHS. I thought that was kind of cool in a
    way. Lots of folks had original TV broadcasts from the 70's and early
    80's with the original commercials. It's your own time capsule.

    -beaumon (who has a very decent Phillips S-VHS unit I bought several
    years ago and now never use)

    lorincantrell, Jan 29, 2006
  4. beckola

    NFord Guest

    They still make turntables...

    But if you like a movie well enough to watch
    a relatively low-quality, "full-frame" version
    of it again and again, then you like it enough
    to pop for the movie on DVD and *really*
    enjoy it.

    NFord, Jan 29, 2006
  5. beckola

    beckola Guest

    Thanks for the responses. It seems ironical because I didn't really
    have a
    large VHS collection until DVD became mainstream.

    I was at a garage sale where a guy was asking 50 cents to $1.00 for his
    videos. I asked how much for all them (300+ movies) and he said $100.00
    for the lot. I've been buying them as a "hobby" ever since.

    It's hard to explain, but its become addictive. Probably because you
    can
    buy videos for less than it use to cost to rent them.

    I wasn't aware that you can still buy turntables. Most likely this will
    be the
    case with VCRs many years from now.

    beckola, Jan 29, 2006
  6. beckola

    GMAN Guest

    Agreed, i have stocked away a good number of Mitsubishi SVHS decks and a few
    JVC ones for that purpose, but i have to admit, its been at least 9 months
    since i have even held a vhs tape in my hand.

    GMAN, Jan 29, 2006
  7. beckola

    beckola Guest

    I couldn't agree more. The DVD picture quality, durability, and
    widescreen format
    is vastly superior to VHS. The only way I can defend my addiction to
    buying VHS
    movies is that I'm discovering movies I would have never thought to buy
    on DVD.

    My most recent purchase was a lot of about 25+ movies for 50 cents
    each.
    It included a copy of "A Bronx Tale" Robert DeNiro. This is one of the
    best movies
    I've seen in years, but probably would walk right buy it, if it I saw
    it on the shelves
    at Best Buy or Wal Mart.

    beckola, Jan 29, 2006
  8. beckola

    Jim Reid Guest

    I haven't bought a movie on VHS in years. The only reason I still have
    a VHS machine is to record shows off tv. Now that I have DirectTV with
    a two-channel DVR, that reason is gone. I still occasionally tape stuff
    for other people, and VHS is the easiest way to give it to them. When
    analog broadcasting stops in 3 years, there won't be much call for
    analog tape machines.

    Jim Reid, Jan 29, 2006
  9. Any decent machine shop could make a turntable. It takes a lot
    more than that to make a VCR. As with much electronic equipment
    the pieces/parts used to asemble them go out of production and when
    it breaks it all over.

    A friend of mine bought a Marconi standards convertor to translate
    PAL to NTSC and also NTSC to PAL. He converted most of the Wild
    World Of Sports for ABC for European distribution. That cost
    him about $250,000 in 1967 [or thereabouts - which if you take
    inflation into account adds up to a LOT of money by 2005 standards]

    The last time I saw that beast - a full 6 foot rack with really
    deep cards - it was waiting to have the cards cut up to retreive
    the gold as the ICs needed to make it work had not been available
    for years.

    Also during that time he had the three networks with direct feeds
    to his shop and he'd record the ABC, NBC and CBS nightly news
    and then fly them to Puero Rico so the citizens there could see
    Walter Cronkite et al 24 hours later.

    For people who have grown up with instant communications anywhere
    in the world [ if you concede that the absolute minimum propagation
    delay is about 1/3 of a second] to envision a world where moving
    images had to be flown by aircraft - and the only images that moved
    faster were still pictures transmitted by 'wire-photo'.

    The concept of those machines became similar to fax years later.

    And news was made when Queen Elizabeth was crowned and COLOR
    wirephotos showed up in newspaper with all the hoopla attendant
    to the first color wirephoto transmission.

    There had to be three passes for those, one for each of the color
    separations. The only place I can immediately think of where you
    get a hint of how those worked is in the film Call Northside 777.

    Bill

    Bill Vermillion, Jan 30, 2006
  10. Well I've bought very few VHS tapes in my lifetime. But I've
    bought several in the last couple of years - and none were
    as cheap as 50 cents.

    These were films that never made it to DVD - and perhaps never will
    - are never shown on cable - so the only way to get them for the
    moment is to search for used VHS tapes to tranfer them to DVD>
    Cheap is good. I picked up a single DVD, a set of two DVDs
    and a set of 4 DVDs - for a total of $10.67 - on a closeout rack.

    These were el-cheapos to begin with but one was only 50 cents.

    Nude - er new in the box.

    Bill

    Bill Vermillion, Jan 30, 2006
  11. beckola

    Black Locust Guest

    As some others have noted, your best bet would be to purchase several
    VCRs right now and storing them away until needed. You'll likely be able
    to keep viewing VHS tapes for many, many years to come using this
    method. Your best bet would be to purchase a few high-end SVHS JVC decks.

    BTW, if you love the Alien movies, you should seriously consider picking
    up the Alien Quadrilogy. It will BLOW you away. You'll curse the very
    existence of that crappy old VHS copy you have.

    Black Locust, Jan 30, 2006
  12. beckola

    NFord Guest

    And do they make the stylus, too? (Without which
    the turntable is only good for shaping pottery.)

    NFord, Jan 30, 2006
  13. Yes, all the major companies are still making stylii and cartridges,
    plus there are small companies producing specialized stylii. Record
    reproduction was never so good.
    http://www.audiotools.com/78.html

    ... Steve ..

    Steve(JazzHunter), Jan 31, 2006
  14. beckola

    beckola Guest

    Just noticed this JVC D-VHS online at Best Buy. I didn't know they had
    anything
    on the market that recorded High Definition. $599.00

    Plays and records VHS, S-VHS and D-VHS for preserving both digital and
    analog broadcasts
    D-VHS allows you to record high definition TV (HDTV) onto video tape
    with multiple recording and playback resolutions (1080i, 720p, 480p,
    480i)
    Capture up to 50GB (or 3.5 hours) of full high-definition quality
    programming or up to 35 hours of standard video on 1 standard D-VHS
    tape (not included)

    beckola, Jan 31, 2006
  15. beckola

    NFord Guest

    Thanks, but that was a rhetorical question.
    I was just rebutting the OP who claimed
    that "any decent machine shop could make
    a turntable."

    NFord, Jan 31, 2006
  16. Tons of styus and cartridges - raning from about $20 to well
    past $15,000 - for the extreme audiphiles.

    Bill Vermillion, Jan 31, 2006
  17. And I still say that - as the question was turntable not cartridges
    or stylii.

    And you could always go back to accoustical - as a kid I'd make a
    cone of paper, stick a pin through it, spin a disk on one fingertip
    and hold the cone genly against the record [78's worked well for
    this].

    It's only the modern electroninc marvels - which when they die are
    about as good as electronic marbles - that aren't fixable as
    you need a chip foundry to make the solid state pieces - and that
    of course presumes you have the artwork for the chips.

    Bill

    Bill Vermillion, Jan 31, 2006
  18. Yep. Just ordered a used copy for around $30 after shipping from
    Wherehouse.com. Best deal I have seen on the set as well. :)

    Brian The Demolition Man Little, Feb 6, 2006