  1. At this point in time, which would be more useful to learn: VB.NET or
    regular Visual Basic?

    THANKS!

    English Teacher, Oct 21, 2003

  2. English Teacher

    J French Guest

    VB.NET is pretty much a different language from VB 'Classic'

    It requires the .NET platform on the system, which is about 20mb

    So if one is writing small Apps for users who do not have .NET
    installed, distribution will be a problem

    J French, Oct 21, 2003

  3. RE/
    Looking around the site where I do most of my work (a major mutual fund -
    10,000+ employees) I'd say VB.NET is "what's happening".

    (Pete Cresswell), Oct 22, 2003
  4. English Teacher

    J French Guest

    Well, it is targeted at large corporates, so that is not surprizing

    - having said that large corporates have a tendency to mess around 'at
    the bleeding edge',
    - partly because senior managers are ignorant, and follow trends
    - partly because programmers want to work on the latest stuff so that
    they can improve their CV

    J French, Oct 22, 2003
  5. English Teacher

    Cameron Guest

    but if you plan to go the .NET road ...then learn C# instead

    Cameron, Oct 22, 2003
  6. English Teacher

    jim Guest

    That is an interesting comment, why C#

    Jim

    jim, Oct 25, 2003
  7. English Teacher

    Scott Barnes Guest

    A bit off topic in woodworking and photo newsgroups, don't you think?

    Anyway, C# is presumably the most native language of .NET Meaning it can
    get at the .NET internals more efficiently and directly.

    Scott

    Scott Barnes, Oct 25, 2003
  8. RE/
    I've heard people say that they chose C# because the syntax is
    so different from VB that they think they won't get as confused
    switching back-and-forth between VB 6 and .NET.

    (Pete Cresswell), Oct 27, 2003
  9. English Teacher

    Leicaddict Guest

    Regular Vb has been around longer, but eventually it will not be
    supported. Learn VB.net or C#. Either way, you will need to learn the
    dotnet framework to survive as a Windows developer.

    -Zeke

    Leicaddict, Oct 28, 2003