    the 64.

    Not to mention the punch card machines with those beige colored cards.

    It really is amazing the trip from ENIAC to Cray and beyond!

    Muze Groops, Jan 19, 2008

  2. Muze Groops

    William Guest

    http://oldcomputers.net/index.html

    William, Jan 19, 2008

  3. Muze Groops

    Whiskers Guest

    I had a Sinclair ZX81 (which is what the 'Timex Sinclair 1000' was called
    over here), and I can well remember getting punched cards as the output
    of my company's mainframe computer accounting system.

    Whiskers, Jan 19, 2008
  4. Muze Groops

    Pennywise Guest

    They were giving an Osborne away at a drawing for a new store.

    I and a few others were there for the drawing, While I didn't win it;
    I learned that to win at these things you crumple your entry (takes up
    more space) - I won my son a major prize by crumpling his entry :)

    It was like 2500 for the Osborne so I won or went without. Your dad
    didn't do 14K he was doing 300 or 1200
    I bought a Timex Sinclair at a Payless for $20, I took it back a day
    later cause this one had a membrane keyboard and I didn't know it
    needed a cassette recorder to load programs.

    My first computer was TRS80 III, spent many hours/days on ut, never
    invested in the floppy drives (TRSDOS) still got many cassettes of
    games and programs I made. The TRS80 III taught me you pirate or die.

    My god machine was the Amiga, what your doing with Windows right now I
    was doing in '87.

    --

    FANCY PANTS ADVENTURE WORLD 2
    www.kongregate.com/games/DrNeroCF/fancy-pants-adventure-world-2

    Pennywise, Jan 19, 2008
  5. Muze Groops

    why? Guest

    There was a long thred Nov 2007 this subject,
    http://groups.google.com/group/24ho...=gst&q=author:why?+bbc+micro#5c6f0857e21a9e29
    or shorter
    http://preview.tinyurl.com/yusuz8

    Also see,
    http://www.old-computers.com/museum/
    Used, never bought any of those.

    Used, DEC paper roll/ punched tape terminal, never bought 1.

    Used HP1000 , never bought 1 either,

    Ditto for ZX80/81, Newbrain (I think I said before) , Amstrad 2286 ,
    TRS80, Atart 8086 something, and the 1040's.

    Oh did buy a BBC Micro, modded and upgraded till it buying 1st PC.

    1st bbs stuff was 1200/75 modems.
    Me

    why?, Jan 19, 2008
  6. Muze Groops

    John Holmes Guest

    Muze Groops "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    I started with the Commodore 64 ( http://www.old-
    computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=98 ) and the next was an IBM XT
    machine ( http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=286&st=1 )
    with an 1200 Baud (!) modem with which I did my first hacking attempts.
    Then I started to build my own machines and by gaining knowledge I
    finally could make money out of my hobby. I'm in the IT all of my life.

    John Holmes, Jan 19, 2008
  7. Muze Groops

    Pennywise Guest

    Pennywise, Jan 20, 2008
  8. Muze Groops

    Pennywise Guest

    Pennywise, Jan 20, 2008
  9. Muze Groops

    chuckcar Guest

    Altair 8800 - the *first* personal computer - you had a choice: learn
    how to program in machine language bit by bit (front panel switches) or
    invest in 4K BASIC on tape.
    300 for me - you *could* get the up as high as 500 with some fiddling.

    chuckcar, Jan 20, 2008
  10. I made my first computer in the late 60's. It was just a shift
    register memory with a four bit processor.

    It was a big step to move up to a 1K ZX81 and then up to 16K.

    I had a Leo 3 mainframe to play with when I needed to do anything
    serious. It had a huge 48K memory :)

    Steve

    --
    Stephen Wolstenholme Neural Planner Software Ltd

    http://www.easynn.com

    Steve Wolstenholme, Jan 20, 2008
  11. Muze Groops

    philo Guest

    Here is another old computer group

    http://www.obsoletecomputermuseum.org/helpline/

    http://www.obsoletecomputermuseum.org

    I took my first computer class back in 1968. Fortran IV programming.
    I **HATED** those punch cards and could not believe that computers used such
    an antiquated method for data input.

    IIRC: The school did have *one* terminal (no crt...but paper VIZ: telex
    machine). The terminal was for use only by the profs and upper classmen.

    After I graduated and got a job...I went back to night school and was
    *amazed* that I still had to use puch cards as late as 1979 !
    Amazing! (By then, there were crt terminals too...but I did not have
    access)

    I swore I'd never touch a computer again...but bought a TI-99 in 1982 when
    the price dropped to $50.
    I wrote a few programs in BASIC,,,then just used it to play games...until
    the game port died.

    Then I never had a computer again until 1999 when my girlfriend game me her
    old P-1 and I got hooked.

    BTW: I had a friend who worked for Cray Research...and he gave me a tour of
    the plant and got to see the Cray-1's being tested.
    He did a lot of the design work for the logic boards...so I fugured he must
    have been a lot brighter than he let on when were were in school
    together!

    philo, Jan 20, 2008
  12. Remember the Abacus?

    booboo £ ¥ 0/00 :), Jan 21, 2008
  13. Muze Groops

    Whiskers Guest

    I've got one of them, still works.

    Whiskers, Jan 21, 2008
  14. Man, did you ever misspell "Alamo". :)

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 21, 2008
  15. Muze Groops

    Muze Groops Guest

    I thought he was referring to a Roman God... I went looking for my jug
    of Gallo.

    Muze Groops, Jan 23, 2008