    having a degree in some form or shape? Are there job
    applications that you can apply an MCSE to without having
    a degree in some computer or otherwise field?

    Schm75uck, Jan 5, 2004

  2. The Five Keys to getting a job in IT:

    1) Education
    2) Experience
    3) Certification
    4) Know someone
    5) Great personality

    The MCSE without one of the other four is pretty worthless. It's when you
    have the MCSE combined with one, two, three, or ultimately all four of the
    other key's that it begins to show it's worth. So without an education, it's
    still worthwhile with experience, or if you know someone, or if you just
    have a great personality that people love to work with you.

    --
    Politician Spock
    MCSA, CCEA, MCNGP #15

    Politician Spock, Jan 5, 2004

  3. And you know... if you leave out Certification, you've got GEEK

    --
    Fris "I used to be a GEEK" bee® MCNGP #13

    http://www.mcngp.tk
    The MCNGP Team - We're here to help

    =?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?=, Jan 5, 2004
  4. What is the value, if any, of having an MCSE without
    'a degree in some form or shape' whatever you mean by that, helps
    your résumé get noticed above those that don't. this is more so for
    people looking to enter the profession.

    MCSE good to have, must be able to prove it though.
    What counts is experience that's what employers look for. MCSE will
    count some what when applying for posts with an ms partner, but even
    then there few of those left that will take you on with out good old
    experience.

    Hardest step is the first one, which nowadays is even harder, unless
    that is, you live in or near Bombay.

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Jan 5, 2004
  5. 4) Know someone
    Yep, especially the last one. No way I would want to work with someone
    I could not relate to.

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Jan 5, 2004
  6. or if you leave out 'Great Personality' you have about 500 million
    people.

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Jan 5, 2004
  7. No... then you just have EEK

    --
    Fris "Wait a minute... you were right" bee® MCNGP #13

    http://www.mcngp.tk
    The MCNGP Team - We're here to help

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?=, Jan 5, 2004
  8. No... then you just have EEK
    oh... Actually looking at it, it could be 243,712.

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Jan 5, 2004
  9. Schm75uck

    billyw Guest

    3 out of 5 can't be bad for you :)

    billyw, Jan 5, 2004
  10. Schm75uck

    billyw Guest

    actually very important..
    no point working with some teetotal, religious prude.
    what a waste of a day

    billyw, Jan 5, 2004
  11. Schm75uck

    billyw Guest

    you forgot one..
    desire

    billyw, Jan 5, 2004
  12. Schm75uck

    Jtyc Guest

    no point working with some teetotal, religious prude.
    Exactly. I could waste an entire day debating the whole thing with them.

    Jtyc, Jan 5, 2004
  13. Schm75uck

    Jtyc Guest

    you forgot one..
    What if I desire a higher salary with less work?

    Jtyc, Jan 5, 2004
  14. Schm75uck

    JaR Guest

    You can't have that job, I already have dibs on the next one that comes up.

    JaR, Jan 5, 2004
  15. Schm75uck

    Guest Guest

    GEEK. I like that.

    Get the degree. I don't have one and it has made things harder. A lot of doors will not be opened to you without it. In May I will have my associates, and then after a short break I will go back for my bachelors.

    Andy

    Guest, Jan 5, 2004
  16. Schm75uck

    billyw Guest

    hey do you invite the religious types in when they doorstep..
    nothing like a good debate.. mormons (or is that morons) are really easy to
    knock off their stride.. the mere mention of the osmonds will send them
    running

    billyw, Jan 6, 2004
  17. Schm75uck

    billyw Guest

    i have that job.. it's called working for yourself.
    i could make the same as what i was making working for someone else.. but
    working 10 hours per week..

    billyw, Jan 6, 2004
  18. Schm75uck

    Guest Guest

    ----- Politician Spock wrote: -----

    The Five Keys to getting a job in IT:

    1) Education
    2) Experience
    3) Certification
    4) Know someone
    5) Great personality

    Wow. I just gave a talk to some high school kids before Christmas (career advice, IT, can you believe that?) and your list was better than mine:

    You need Knowledge and a Skill Set gained through

    1/ Experience
    2/ Industry Certification
    3/ Relevant Degree

    which synergise (meaning the sum of one or more is better than either on their own). I gave the example that someone who has experience gained by studying and developing their skill set through certification and a relevant university degree but never worked in paid IT employment may be more likely to get some well paying jobs over someone who was very experienced but lacked any certification or degree.

    I like the other list because I would have to say every job I have acquired along the way was because I knew someone connected with getting me that job / work. So that would have to go to the top of the list. Being dull wouldn't help, so I think - Why not? - include it in the list as well.

    Is your list copyright???

    Guest, Jan 6, 2004
  19. Schm75uck

    Guest Guest

    Any chance I could get you to get a symbol or something, rather than refer to you as the Poster formerly known as Kline Sher? That's right. I use the newsreader at www.microsoft.com/learning/community/newsgroups/...yougetthepictire and I don't get the "e" on the end. (I use the newsreader because I am often goofing around on these newsgroups when I am on site "working"

    Unlike the Artist formerly known as Prince, I think your career is taking off now that you have changed your name. So let's make the transformation complete - how about a symbol then

    :) :| ;) :( "_" are just a few that are already taken.

    Guest, Jan 6, 2004
  20. Schm75uck

    billyw Guest

    i've copyrighted it..