vacancies at my work for linux techs

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by camfairweather, Oct 3, 2006.

  1. Hi all,

    I'm assuming this will be of interest to some of you, if it isn't,
    please excuse my semi-commercial posting.

    I work at Weta Digital in Wellington and were expanding our desktop
    support team in response to expected growth.

    If you've got an interest in Linux and can handle working within the
    VFX industry (50hr weeks and the occasional need to late night and
    weekends as deadlines approach) we would very much like to hear from
    you.

    If you want to find out more about the position before sending in your
    CV contact me (Campbell) on 04 3807156 or cam at wetafx dot co dot nz

    If you don't need to know anything more and are happy to send in your
    CV right now, send it to recruitment at wetafx dot co dot nz. Just
    make sure you include 'support' in the subject line.

    In the interest of privacy and and keeping this thread brief, I'd
    prefer not to reply to questions on this newsgroup, but will be happy
    to answer any questions you have if I'm contacted directly.

    Thanks

    camfairweather, Oct 3, 2006

  2. camfairweather

    anon Guest

    They'll be queueing at your door for the opportunity.

    anon, Oct 4, 2006

  3. camfairweather

    Shane Guest

    Yeah.. how about talking it up!

    Shane, Oct 4, 2006
  4. camfairweather

    Vista Guest

    50 hr week plus latenights and weekends are quite demanding requirements,
    and having been involved in a similar industry before I know that burnout
    and staff turnover can be quite high. It is good to get some balance in
    life and not to work int he weekends. Not of course if you live to work and
    love it or have no life.

    Vista, Oct 4, 2006
  5. camfairweather

    E. Scrooge Guest

    Yep.
    There's at least a couple of Lunatechs around here.

    Sounds like the 50 hour weeks will very easily stretch out to King Kong 80
    hour weeks with no time what so ever for anything else.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Oct 4, 2006
  6. camfairweather

    Rob Guest

    It's a great opportunity for someone with the energy to get involved in
    a rapidly changing industry.

    More than a few bofh's started as helldesk droids.

    Rob

    Rob, Oct 4, 2006
  7. camfairweather

    Vista Guest

    Absolutely. My point is that 50hours per week is really just the start, it
    will likely be more like 60-80 hpw when projects get close to deadlines. I
    wonder what sort of remuneration there is for that type of work.

    Vista, Oct 4, 2006
  8. camfairweather

    Fred Dagg Guest

    Still, that's how you get ahead in any industry, and it's also how the
    rich get richer - they work for it.

    Fred Dagg, Oct 4, 2006
  9. camfairweather

    Fred Dagg Guest

    Career advancement??

    Honestly, some of you guys have no idea.

    Fred Dagg, Oct 4, 2006
  10. T'was the Wed, 04 Oct 2006 22:27:48 +1300 when I remembered Fred Dagg
    Over work-life balance? I'm not convinced about that. I mean, sure,
    there's a need to work, but ultimately, what's the point of a job if
    you eventually hate it with all your guts?

    On the plus side, your BMW will probably look nicer than my bicycle.

    Waylon Kenning, Oct 4, 2006
  11. camfairweather

    Vista Guest

    No, the rich get richer, by getting other people to work for them. There is
    something to being your own boss :)

    Vista, Oct 4, 2006
  12. camfairweather

    Fred Dagg Guest

    Heh.

    I completely don't think people should work long hours forever, but
    realistically, those who put the full effort in for a couple of years
    at the start of their career are those that "make it".

    Obviously this shouldn't be for more than a few years, though, or you
    will end up hating things.

    Fred Dagg, Oct 4, 2006
  13. camfairweather

    E. Scrooge Guest

    Damn near what I was going to say.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Oct 4, 2006
  14. camfairweather

    E. Scrooge Guest

    Being used while 1 or 2 people collect the awards for it.

    Now when you can you start, Freddy? Then the sooner I can collect my
    awards.
    ;-)

    You don't think that Bill Gates act sat down and created Windows?
    Hell that's what the Monkeys are for.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Oct 4, 2006
  15. camfairweather

    Fred Dagg Guest

    So you don't believe Gates worked bloody hard to get to where he's at?

    Fred Dagg, Oct 4, 2006

  16. Mmm? you must be younger than I thought.....
    The rich get richer by knowing when it's time to invest in other peoples
    brains & sweat.
    Along with that there are indeed times when they burn the midnight oil, but
    very few do it alone, most end up with companies.........

    Southern Kiwi, Oct 4, 2006
  17. camfairweather

    Fred Dagg Guest

    Nope. Unfortunately I'm rapidly turning into an old fogey.
    I am now in a senior position in my industry, and I'm astounded by the
    number of people who say I'm "lucky" to be where I am today.

    It has absolutely nothing to do with luck - I worked facking hard to
    achieve the goals I set out to achieve, and it astounds me how so many
    people think that everything should be handed to them on a plate, and
    that success doesn't take effort.

    If you want to "win", you have to work hard for it. It doesn't matter
    if that's at work, in business, sport, love, etc. Ask ANY really
    successful businessman, sportsman, etc, and they'll tell you the same
    thing - they had to put in the hours and the effort, at least
    initially, to succeed.

    I honestly believe we can blame the current government, and the
    "everyone's a winner, even the losers" mentality (eg NCEA) for the
    fact that so many young people don't understand they have to work hard
    to "make it". Fact is, there are winners and losers in life, and the
    difference isn't usually luck - it is that the winners are prepared to
    do what it takes to win, and the losers have a loser attitude, and
    expect everyone else to do it for them.

    </rant>

    Fred Dagg, Oct 4, 2006
  18. ... and IME, most people who are self employed have very bad bosses who over
    work and underpay them :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 5, 2006
  19. As an aside, work is normally part of life ... at least for most people.
    Better to say work/home balance or some such ?

    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 5, 2006
  20. camfairweather

    JohnO Guest

    No doubt Weta is an interesting workplace, but it they have a norm of
    50hr weeks and some weekends and late nights then as far as I can tell
    they are an abusive employer. If they can forecast a steady state such
    as this then they should be employing more staff so employees don't
    need to be warned to expect to have no life.

    As it is they will burn staff out, effectively treating them as a
    throwaway consumable not an asset.

    JohnO, Oct 5, 2006