V90 vs. V92

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Julie P., Apr 26, 2005.

  1. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    Hi, I would like to install a modem into my computer, to have as a back up,
    should I ever need dial-up.

    I happen to have a brand new Newcom 56K V.90 modem from 1998 sitting around,
    so I thought I would install it later on. The box says it is compatible with
    Windows 95 and 98.

    Questions:

    1) Is V.92 much better than V.90?
    2) Will my modem work with Windows XP? I went to newcom's website:

    http://www.newcominc.com/

    but a message says this domain name is for sale.

    3) Once installed, how do I test to see if my modem works? Is there a free
    service to test dial-up modems?

    4) Can I connect with my dial-up modem to the Internet via VOIP: either
    Vonage or Comcast Digital Voice?

    Thanks!

    Julie

    Julie P., Apr 26, 2005

  2. Julie P.

    philo Guest

    first check with your ISP to see if they have a local dial-up number...
    if not, there is no use in going any further...
    if so...chances are that XP will support your modem... the v90 will be fine

    philo, Apr 26, 2005

  3. Julie P.

    Pennywise Guest

    On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 19:15:32 -0400, "Julie P."

    |>2) Will my modem work with Windows XP?

    Yes

    |>3) Once installed, how do I test to see if my modem works? Is there a free
    |>service to test dial-up modems?

    Google for BBS (bulletin board systems) available in your area and
    connect to them.

    Use a war dialer and find modems in your prefix, ahh the memories :)

    Pennywise, Apr 26, 2005
  4. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    Thanks Philo. My ISP, Comcast High-Speed Internet, does not ahave a dial-up
    number. I don't have a dial-up ISP. I want a dial-up modem though in case
    disaster strikes and my cable and DSL services go down.

    Julie P., Apr 26, 2005
  5. Julie P.

    °Mike° Guest

    Only if you have a V92 access number.
    Almost certainly, even if only with generic drivers.
    You can test the modem in the modem control panel properties
    'Diagnostics / Query Modem'.
    Yes.

    <snip>

    °Mike°, Apr 26, 2005
  6. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    Thanks Pennywise!

    Julie P., Apr 26, 2005
  7. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    thanks so much Mike! I have never used a dial-up modem before, so all this
    is new to me. I will see how this goes!

    J.

    Julie P., Apr 26, 2005
  8. Julie P.

    °Mike° Guest

    You're welcome. Just remember that when/if you query the modem,
    as above, that you are not connected when you do.

    °Mike°, Apr 26, 2005
  9. Julie P.

    doS Guest

    No, idiot, they don't offer dial up.

    doS, Apr 26, 2005
  10. Julie P.

    doS Guest

    No you cant use it with vonage or comcast.
    Both require a cable modem.

    doS, Apr 26, 2005
  11. Julie P.

    chuckie® Guest

    FWIW, another way to test your modem would be to send someone (your
    employer?) a fax. I have used mine for that quite a few times, works well,
    and would let you know that it is, indeed, working...just a thought...

    chuckie®, Apr 26, 2005
  12. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    Thanks. I do know that. But what I meant, hypothetically speaking, could I
    use a Vonage phone as a phone line to connect to the Internet via a dial-up
    modem? There would be no reason to do this, but I was just wondering.

    Julie P., Apr 26, 2005
  13. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    Perhaps a stupid question, but would I be able to do this without a dial-up
    ISP? Does the dial-up modem act like a regular fax machine, where an ISP is
    not needed?

    Julie P., Apr 26, 2005
  14. Yep. Just have it phone the fax machine directly.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 26, 2005
  15. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    Cool!

    J.

    Julie P., Apr 26, 2005
  16. Julie P.

    Imma Clown Guest

    No.

    Imma Clown, Apr 27, 2005
  17. Julie P.

    Thoronwen Guest

    Sure, you can test the modem that way, but you won't get a definitive
    answer as to whether the modem is working. Modems that fail the Modem
    Query have a problem. Modems that pass the Query might still fail to
    connect to an ISP.
    Mike, I don't understand your answer here. Vonage won't connect at dialup
    speeds. And one doesn't connect to the Internet via VOIP, does one? I
    thought it was the other way around: one connects to VOIP via the
    Internet. But I admit my ignorance in this area.

    Would you care to clarify?

    Thanks,

    <snip>

    Thoronwen, Apr 28, 2005
  18. Julie P.

    °Mike° Guest

    Failing to connect to an ISP, when the local query is successful
    says there is a configuration or network problem, NOT a modem
    problem.
    I accept your assertion about Vonage (I wasn't aware of that), but
    the VOIP protocol works via a modem or phone adapter, and *then*
    connects, like so:

    PC/Telephone --> Modem/Phone Adapter --> Internet --> PC/Telephone.

    °Mike°, Apr 28, 2005
  19. Julie P.

    Thoronwen Guest

    I respectfully disagree. However, I don't have any proof, and you have no
    reason to accept the word of a stranger, so I'll let it drop.
    Thank you.

    Thoronwen, Apr 30, 2005