UTP Cables

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Andy, Mar 13, 2006.

  1. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Hi guys, i know what type of a cable to use between equipments, but
    what i wanna ask about is:
    if we are connecting a PC to a Switch or a Hub we would use a Straight
    through cable, i wanna know how does the Switch recieve them on the
    Transmit pair because its Straight. Thx.
    Andy, Mar 13, 2006
    1. Advertisements

  2. Andy

    Rainer Temme Guest

    Hi Andy,

    An "Interface" Port (like from the LAN-Card of a PC or from
    a NM-FE) usually uses MDI wireing.

    Hub/Switch-Ports usually have MDI-X wireing.

    That's why you can use straight cables, when connecting an
    Interface to a Switch-Port, and that's why you need crossover,
    when connecting interfaces to each others.

    Some modern Switches have MDI/MDI-X autosensing. (For you this
    means, that you can use both types of cables here).

    Rainer Temme, Mar 13, 2006
    1. Advertisements

  3. Andy

    Merv Guest

    Pin Name Direction Description
    1 TD+ HUB <-- NIC Transmit data +
    2 TD- HUB <-- NIC Transmit data -
    3 RX+ HUB --> NIC Receive data +
    4 nc ---
    5 nc ---
    6 RX- HUB --> NIC Receive data -
    7 nc ---
    8 nc ---
    Merv, Mar 13, 2006
  4. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Thx Guys, you have been a great help.
    Andy, Mar 13, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.