    if we are connecting a PC to a Switch or a Hub we would use a Straight
    through cable, i wanna know how does the Switch recieve them on the
    Transmit pair because its Straight. Thx.

    Andy, Mar 13, 2006

  2. Andy

    Rainer Temme Guest

    Hi Andy,

    An "Interface" Port (like from the LAN-Card of a PC or from
    a NM-FE) usually uses MDI wireing.

    Hub/Switch-Ports usually have MDI-X wireing.

    That's why you can use straight cables, when connecting an
    Interface to a Switch-Port, and that's why you need crossover,
    when connecting interfaces to each others.

    Some modern Switches have MDI/MDI-X autosensing. (For you this
    means, that you can use both types of cables here).

    Rainer

    Rainer Temme, Mar 13, 2006

  3. Andy

    Merv Guest