    thunderbird) to view your yahoo, hotmail or other webmail account? Is
    so how do you do it an will it still leave the messages on your
    webmail account server/inbox etc?

    John, Nov 6, 2011

  2. John

    Paul Guest

    There are two aspects to the question:

    1) What protocols do the email clients understand ?
    What protocols do they support ?
    Find a list.

    2) On the email server side (yahoo, hotmail, etc), what
    alternatives besides HTML protocol do they support ?

    This is a harder problem to solve, because the alternatives
    may not be publicly announced and promoted. Maybe they put
    the protocol on there, to support business users, and don't
    really want to public glomming onto that interface ?

    For success, something from (1) has to match something from (2).

    Example here. Thunderbird probably understands POP3. The "port number"
    is important, because the various ports support things like unencrypted
    versus encrypted transmissions. Any new service defined, will likely be
    on one of the "safer to use" ports.

    http://lifehacker.com/5169684/hotmail-finally-enables-pop3-worldwide

    Have fun,
    Paul

    Paul, Nov 6, 2011

  3. John

    Kele Guest

    I do this with Thunderbird and GMX Mail.

    GMX mail has a collector that retrieves mails from other on-line mail
    services.

    Hotmal has started doing this too. But I can attest that GMX mail has a
    wizard that steps through this and then tells how to work it with
    Thunderbird - it was ultra EZ. I rarely visit any on-line mail services. I
    just launch Thunderbird which retrieves mail from GMX which has already
    collected mail from Hotmail, Yahoo, etc. There's not much lag either. It's
    seamless and from my point of view, it seems like I receive mail like I do
    via my single ISP mail account and Outlook.
    Another benny... Hotmail, Yahoo, etc have their own spam blockers as does
    GMX. By the time mail gets to Thunderbird, it's nearly spam free - I can
    then tell Thunderbird where to filter any that get through making the Inbox
    very real mail only.

    And yes, there is an option in GMX to leave the mail on the server or delete
    it once sent down to Thunderbird.

    Kele, Nov 7, 2011
  4. John

    - Bobb - Guest

    For some web based email, you need to pay a fee to use the client/server
    version. For Yahoo, I think it's about $20 per year for "POP Yahoo! Mail"
    and then YES Outlook will fetch your email. For free- no - they want you to
    go to their website and see their ads. ( they gotta make money somehow)

    What I will tell you is :
    There ARE mail fetching programs ( Like Poppeeper ) that retrieve just about
    all email for free. They have a very limited interface but I use them to
    fetch all of my non-essential webmail - Netscape, Yahoo, etc. and if
    necessary I then go to the website to read/save images etc.
    http://www.poppeeper.com/download.php

    For specifics on settings - try this:
    http://www.emailaddressmanager.com/tips/mail-settings.html

    - Bobb -, Jan 14, 2012