Using XP with DSL where, when and how can the DNS entries be changed from:

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Guest, Sep 4, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Using XP with DSL where, when and how can the DNS entries be changed from:

    1. Obtain DNS server entries automatically

    To enter them manual into:

    2. Use these DNS server entries

    First DNS server
    Alternate DNS server

    Can I borrow other DNS entries from MSN, IBM, Sprint, etc. ?
    How can I find some DNS entries to borrow?

    What is your best guess that makes BS DLS work and quit and connect and lose
    connection since Katrina?

    Thank you!

    Guest, Sep 4, 2005

  2. Guest

    N. Miller Guest

    DSL connection issues are completely unrelated to DNS issues. If it is
    connection issues, I'd troubleshoot the connection issues first. Do you
    have a DSL modem with access to the line status figures? If so, you want
    line attenuation to be less than 60db, and the signal-noise ratio at least
    9db to 10db. Greater than 60db attenuation, less than 6db snr and you will
    suffer connection problems; only Bellsouth DSL techs can help you if line
    troubles are evident.

    I never was able to check my line stats before I installed a DSL splitter
    at the NID (or MPOE, or demarc; the place where the telephone wire crosses
    from the company to the premises). I did try to get "slick" when I
    installed the splitter, and wound up with something called a, "bridge tap".
    When I addressed the bridge tap issue I saw my snr rise from 6-7db to
    12-14db; a good thing to see. My throughput speed is marginally better,
    too; though it was nearly as good as I could expect on a 1536/384 line to
    begin with.

    Anyway, see if you can't improve the snr, at a minimum; maybe you don't
    really have a DNS problem to begin with.

    Alas, http://www.broadbandreports.com isn't responding right now. Nor is
    the older alias, http://www.dslreports.com. There is a Bellsouth forum at
    that site, and you should be able to get specific Bellsouth help there.

    N. Miller, Sep 4, 2005

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Guest, Sep 5, 2005
  4. Guest

    N. Miller Guest

    AFAIK, you can use just about any DNS server accessible from the Internet.
    I considered suggesting that you use the Level 3 DNS servers listed on
    Galen's site, but I re-read this comment in your post:
    That sounds more like DSL line issues than DNS problems.

    N. Miller, Sep 5, 2005