using XP Home with a MS 2003 Small business server

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by BobM, Oct 1, 2005.

  1. BobM

    BobM Guest

    Is there any way to connect a computer with xp home to the domain in an 2003
    small business server.
    When I use the systems properties screen and use "change", the new window
    opens up and it allows me to change the work group, but it does not give the
    option to change to a domain like xp pro. Is there a different procedure in
    xp home.

    Thank you,

    Bob

    --
    Peace is the highest aspiration for the American people. We will negotiate
    for it, sacrifice for it: We will not surrender for it, now or ever.

    NOTE:
    The information contained in this E-Mail message is intended only for use of
    the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this
    message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible
    to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby
    communication in error, please immediately notify us by reply e-mail and
    destroy the original message. Thank you.

    BobM, Oct 1, 2005

  2. BobM

    why? Guest

    XP Home isn't made for domain connections, just workgroups in
    peer-2-peer.

    The different procedure is buy XP Pro, or www.google.com for the 'fix'
    to allow XP Home to join a domain.

    Me

    why?, Oct 1, 2005

  3. BobM

    Dave Lear Guest

    Windows XP Comparison Guide
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx

    Which will confirm for you that, amongst other differences, WinXP Home
    cannot be joined to a domain, only WinXP Pro. Also, even if you do follow
    the other poster's advice about hacking WinXP Home to allow it, there are a
    lot of other features not present in Home that would mean the workstation
    wouldn't be centrally manageable.

    There's a reason that WinXP Home is a lot cheaper than WinXP Pro.

    Dave Lear, Oct 2, 2005