    could be used without any security risks. Is it the case? or are the
    default keys exactly the same in all routers of the same model?

    Thanks in advance

    none, Mar 2, 2006

  2. none

    Malke Guest

    none wrote:

    > Hi, I would like to know if it's dangerous to use the default
    > encryptions keys from a wireless modem/router without using your own
    > passphrase to generate the keys. I always thought that the default
    > keys
    >
    > were randomly generated at manufacturing time so I thought that they
    > could be used without any security risks. Is it the case? or are the
    > default keys exactly the same in all routers of the same model?
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    I've not seen any routers that *had* default encryption keys. The
    routers I've set up all have had encryption disabled as default. Of
    course, I haven't worked with all brands of routers, basically just
    D-Link, Linksys, Belkin, and some Buffalo ones. If you've got a router
    that does enable encryption and a key as default, I would not suggest
    using default settings, just as you shouldn't use the default SSID.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke, Mar 2, 2006

  3. none

    Mike Fields Guest

    "Malke" <> wrote in message
    > none wrote:
    >
    >> Hi, I would like to know if it's dangerous to use the default
    >> encryptions keys from a wireless modem/router without using your own
    >> passphrase to generate the keys. I always thought that the default
    >> keys
    >>
    >> were randomly generated at manufacturing time so I thought that they
    >> could be used without any security risks. Is it the case? or are the
    >> default keys exactly the same in all routers of the same model?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance

    > I've not seen any routers that *had* default encryption keys. The
    > routers I've set up all have had encryption disabled as default. Of
    > course, I haven't worked with all brands of routers, basically just
    > D-Link, Linksys, Belkin, and some Buffalo ones. If you've got a router
    > that does enable encryption and a key as default, I would not suggest
    > using default settings, just as you shouldn't use the default SSID.
    >
    > Malke
    > --

    So how is someone driving by supposed to get into
    the network if you change the defaults ??? ;-)

    mikey

    Mike Fields, Mar 4, 2006