    Can the Virgin Broadband Hub be used and does it give any advantages?
    Regards
    David

    David, Apr 6, 2015

  2. No.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Apr 6, 2015

  3. David

    Woody Guest

    Not unless you have another cable provider (is there such a thing in
    the UK?) that has an infrastructure that works the same way. You
    cannot move it elsewhere as it is tied to the infrastructure by its
    MAC address so should only work on one circuit.

    If it is in wi-fi mode and disconnected from the cable then you could
    possibly use the four ethernet ports as a switch.

    Do bear in mind that it is the property of VM at all times - it never
    belongs to you.

    Woody, Apr 6, 2015
  4. David

    David Guest

    Thank you, I will decline the offer of one free.
    Regards
    David

    David, Apr 6, 2015
  5. David

    newshound Guest

    Changing the subject slightly, BT delivered a hub which was addressed to
    someone three counties away (no possible overlap in address details).
    After several failed attempts to get them to accept it back, it went to
    landfill via my waste bin. I hated doing that. (And I know, as a WEEE
    item I should have recycled it properly, but that would have been a 20
    mile round trip).

    newshound, Apr 6, 2015
  6. I had a similar problem with Orange once, but as the modem/router they
    had supplied me in error (at no cost to me) happened to be quite a
    reasonable one, and not locked to their internet service (I checked),
    I ended up selling it on Ebay. I think I got about a fiver, which was
    better than chucking it away.

    Having since then done a stint on a technical support desk for an
    internet service provider, I can easily understand the difficulty, as
    the call centre software didn't seem to include an easy procedure for
    dealing with returning modems and routers, or if it did we weren't
    told about it. I assume these items are purchased in such bulk that
    the cost of them isn't worth the cost of the admin.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Apr 6, 2015
  7. I'm pretty sure all the BT Home Hubs are reusable with other DSL based ISPs.

    Brian Gregory, Apr 7, 2015
  8. I wouldn't want to guarantee this without testing it. I've encountered
    BT modem/routers, including a Hub 3, that wouldn't allow the saving of
    account details other than for BT accounts, so they've certainly done
    this for some of their devices, which means that effectively it's not
    possible to be sure of any of them.

    Sometimes when BT supplied a locked modem with one of their accounts,
    it would also be possible to buy a generic version of the same device
    from another supplier, so it's clearly just a software difference and
    can be changed, either officially or unofficially.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Apr 7, 2015
  9. David

    Woody Guest

    I think I'm right in saying that BTHH3 was the first to be locked to
    BT accounts. However Expensive World sell the BTHH4r which is
    unlocked - if you want one that is.

    Woody, Apr 7, 2015
  10. There's WightFibre.
    People in the US can buy their own cable modems (as you once could on NTL) -
    probably not worth shipping though.
    You could probably use it as a wifi to ethernet bridge too.
    Yes, OTOH VM seem to leave a lot of kit lying around, eg tenant moves out
    cancelling account, leaves modem behind, new tenant doesn't want VM service.
    Or they send out an upgraded cable modem but don't collect the old one. So
    I can't see a problem with using that kit until the very unlikely day that
    they choose to collect it.

    Theo

    Theo Markettos, Apr 7, 2015
  11. BT Home Hubs sold by the likes of PC World may be unlocked, but I
    wouldn't take this as a guarantee that they all are.

    The BTHH3 as provided by BT with a BT account may have been locked (I
    have one purchased for 3ukp via Ebay that definitely is), it was also
    possible to purchase a generic unlocked one, so there were definitely
    two sorts.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Apr 7, 2015
  12. David

    Woody Guest

    But VM works on RF up a cable, not fibre?

    Woody, Apr 7, 2015
  13. David

    Kraftee Guest

    Only if you can unlock them. In theory that could mean all of them but I
    have heard that with some you can't, or it's not an easy process.

    Kraftee, Apr 7, 2015
  14. David

    Kraftee Guest

    The BT HH3 definitely comes in 2 flavours as they are supplied locked to
    residential customers and are used as replacements/first router for
    businesses.

    But why would you want to use one anyway?

    Kraftee, Apr 7, 2015
  15. David

    Kraftee Guest

    They withdrew that fairly quickly, when they took over the fibre network in
    this part of the world. They even tried to charge equipment rental to those
    who had bought their own routers (one of the reasons I got rid of them)

    Kraftee, Apr 7, 2015
  16. WightFibre is Wight Cable rebranded because 'fibre optic broadband' is the
    thing, and Cable TV isn't where the cool cats are.

    It seems Wight Cable had a period of poor service, hence the rebrand. Not
    entirely unlike NTL/Virgin Media in fact.

    http://onthewight.com/2013/11/20/changes-wightfibre/

    Looks like Smallworld, formerly Wight Cable North ('north' = NW England/SW
    Scotland), was bought up by VM last year. Which makes WightFibre the only
    remaining cableco outside VM.

    Theo

    Theo Markettos, Apr 7, 2015