    Alex Vinokur
    mailto:
    =====================================

    Alex Vinokur, Aug 16, 2003

  2. Alex Vinokur

    docmill Guest

    docmill, Aug 16, 2003

  3. Is it possible to use two firewalls simultaneously, for instance :
    It is possible, but not recommended. There is a possibility that they will
    interfere with each other.

    A second software firewall is also superfluous. It won't offer greater
    protection than one firewall, properly configured. It's like putting two
    switches in series on a lamp cord. The lamp won't be any more off with both
    switches off than with one switch off.

    \Crash\ Dummy, Aug 16, 2003
  4. Alex Vinokur

    Tom McCune Guest

    This has become such an FAQ that I'm going to add this response to
    SmartBoard for future pasting. :)

    It is generally thought that having two software firewalls running, is at
    least as likely to cause conflicts that reduce your protection, as it is
    that it will not cause any such conflicts. If your firewall is good and
    set up properly, running another is unlikely to offer any additional
    protection - the only exception I can think of is that if one of the
    firewalls is either accidentally or purposely deactivated, you would then
    still have the protection of the second (assuming that the two firewalls
    are actualy compatible in the first place). I would not run two
    firewalls together without sufficient reason to believe the two were
    really compatible. Symantec
    <http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/f4ae7ffd10c663ec852569d2007
    13229/95bd6722f71be2a688256a62006d9d0d?OpenDocument>
    indicates that the WinXP firewall and Norton (NIS or NPF) are compatible
    with each other:

    "After the installation, the Windows XP firewall feature can be enabled
    and will work with NIS and NPF."

    I ran the two together successfully for a long time until I got my
    router.

    Tom McCune, Aug 16, 2003
  5. Alex Vinokur

    ClareOldie Guest

    Yes and
    Yes if its the free versions. The limits on one may be overcome by the
    second.

    ClareOldie, Aug 16, 2003
  6. Alex Vinokur

    ClareOldie Guest

    ClareOldie, Aug 16, 2003
  7. Alex Vinokur

    JoeG Guest

    After months of reading and investigation I offer the following -- for
    home consumers the best protection is:

    1) a router/access point with a hardware firewall (NAT & SPI as a minimum)

    2) a software firewall with AV and content filtering on every PC such as
    Norton Internet Security etc...

    JoeG

    'shields up'

    JoeG, Aug 16, 2003
  8. Alex Vinokur

    donut Guest

    Norton is so widely slammed around the security forums that I really have
    to wonder about your perception.

    The problem with these do it all apps like Norton is that they rarely do
    everything well.

    I would use Kerio, and if you're really concerned about application
    filtering, back it up with Black Ice Defender. These 2 have been shown to
    be compatible.

    For AV, there are many choices. For free, there is AVG, which nobody has
    been able to discredit so far, and F-Prot, which is a DOS version, but
    that's good, since the infected apps or programs won't be running under
    DOS.

    I would not recommend a router for a home user unless a) they are on
    broadband and b) they are connected to the Internet 24/7. A properly
    configured software firewall is sufficient.

    donut, Aug 17, 2003

  9. I think what he meanyt is Hardware and software. It is safe to use a NAT
    or hardware firewall, with NAT it is always wise to install software
    based firewall, just in case 1.) something finds its' way through 2.)
    Filter outgoing connections, which NAT dos'nt do.

    Michael Thompson, Aug 17, 2003
  10. Alex Vinokur

    J Jay Guest

    J Jay, Aug 17, 2003