    me the cliff's notes. would overlaying a slight tint with an image
    editor do the same thing? i prefer correcting the source before using
    an image editor.

    bruin70, Aug 21, 2006

  2. This is mostly likely due to the color temperature of the lights used to
    illuminate the artwork. This is totally unnecessary when shooting digital.
    Just put a white sheet of paper in the first shot and use that to set the
    white balance. In this instance I would certainly advise shooting RAW.

    The other problem to be fixed with something on the lights is the glare and
    shine from oil paintings and sculptures and other artwork. This might
    require a polarize on the light and one on the camera. Each turned sideways
    to the other.

    Since they were shooting 4x5 they were most likely shooting film and had to
    get the color balance right for the film they were shooting. You won't have
    that problem....er...if you are in the right group....the one for digital
    shooters. If you use strobes they will all be the same temp I would
    think...but if you mix you lighting that could be a problem.

    Gene Palmiter, Aug 21, 2006

  3. bruin70

    bruin70 Guest

    yes i shoot digital. i have everything else,,,polarizers for lamp and
    lens.

    thanks

    bruin70, Aug 21, 2006
  4. bruin70

    tomm42 Guest

    Rosco filters, B&H has them, you can use direct lighting on artwork, a
    lot of photographers do. Just have it well balanced. Takes a little
    practice, but is not difficult if you are at all used to product
    photography. If you are trying to get the right color, color filters
    may not be what you want. Lighting a product with diffuse lighting then
    using color filters for background illumination is a nice effect.

    Tom

    tomm42, Aug 21, 2006
  5. bruin70

    no_name Guest

    It's simple. You use gels to add color to whatever you're shooting,
    although usually to backgrounds. You don't want to produce unwanted
    color shifts in the product from lighting.

    Commercial studio lighting is a fairly involved process with many
    lights, flags, scrims and modifiers to get exactly the light wanted in
    exactly the position wanted - and to keep unwanted light out of where
    it's not wanted.

    A product shot may have dozens of lights, each positioned to make just a
    small contribution to the final image. I've read that some Playboy
    centerfold shoots use as many as 250 different lights to set the mood &
    create the setting.

    For the most part though, it's just a matter of practice, learning what
    works & what doesn't.

    One thing to really look out for is hot lights (and that includes
    modeling lights on strobes) can melt the gels if you're not careful enough.

    --

    These are my views. If you've got a problem with it, you can blame it on
    me, but this is what I think. I am not the official spokes-person for

    John

    no_name, Aug 21, 2006