    the filters between the camera and the adapter. My question is, if I use
    a filter between the camera and the adapter will it vignette when the
    camera is set at it's widest angle.

    Denny, Sep 25, 2006

  2. All you can do is experiment - find a friendly shop who will let you
    try them out in store - it's pretty easy to check via the display. But
    what filter/s are you planning to use? 0.8x24 is 19mm equivalent..
    Polarisers will give very some rather weird gradation effects in the
    19-24 range, and most other filters (except IR) can be emulated in PS..

    Also ask about extra slim filters.

    mark.thomas.7, Sep 26, 2006

  3. Denny

    Denny Guest

    Thanks for the comment. Yes, it is a polariser that I planed to use. I
    didn't realize it would have odd gradations at wide angles. Thanks again.

    Denny, Sep 26, 2006
  4. Thanks for the comment. Yes, it is a polariser that I planed to use. I
    Don't get me wrong - I still wouldn't be caught without my polariser,
    and the effect can be used to advantage.. There's an example here,
    second image down (and I've seen much more exaggerated cases!)

    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/polarizers.shtml

    mark.thomas.7, Sep 26, 2006
  5. Denny

    Alfred Molon Guest

    That's a fact of life, which doesn't mean that you should no use a
    polariser filter at wide angle or for panorama sequences.

    Regarding the question whether the polariser filter vignets the image,
    this should be the case to a certain extent, but can be taken care of in
    post-processing. However the major issue is that the wide angle
    converter for the R1 is huge and adds to the weight of the R1, making it
    even more bulky.

    Alfred Molon, Sep 26, 2006
  6. Denny

    Drewsky

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Using a filter with a wide angle adapter

    Interesting that support are telling yo to place the filter between the adaptor and the lense, all over the documentation that comes with the camera and accessories says DO NOT use the filter with the telescopic and wide ange lenses as you run the risk of damaging them.

    Not to mention that the wide angle lense will not fit on the adapter or camera while a filter is fitted. I look at mine last night and it's just not possible.

    I would be contacting sony and telling them that thier support staff run the risk of causing damage to customer products with the recomendations they are putting forward !

    Drewsky, Feb 6, 2008