    rechargeable is 0.6 V too short, but fully charged batteries usually
    have higher voltage. Thanks for any comments you can offer.

    Angel

    Angel, Oct 14, 2003

  2. Most folks who have digicams use NiMH batteries.

    Marvin Margoshes, Oct 14, 2003

  3. Angel

    Canopus Guest

    I use 4 NiM batteries in my Fuji at 1.2 V each giving 4.8 v total or I can
    use 4 Alkaline batteries at 1.5 V each giving 6 V. The NiM combination last
    a lot longer than the Alkaline. It's not so much the battery voltage as the
    circuit voltage that counts and the amount of mili-amp hours they can
    supply. In other words, yes, you can use them.

    Rob

    Canopus, Oct 14, 2003
  4. What does the manual say?

    Joseph Meehan, Oct 14, 2003
  5. Angel

    Mark B. Guest

    When your alkalines die after half a dozen shots, you'll definitely want to
    use NiMH. It's really the only smart way to go with AA batteries.

    Mark

    Mark B., Oct 15, 2003
  6. Angel

    Angel Guest

    Hi Mark:

    I bought this Fuji Finepix 2650 (used) on ebay. This camera uses AA
    batteries. I have NiMH rechargeable batteries. But it seems that the batteries
    don't have enough juice to power the camera. When I turn the camera on,
    with the NiMH fully charged, the power light goes out in a few seconds.
    The LCD panel doesn't even come on.

    If I can't use alkaline batteries, and NiMH seems not to work, what can I use?
    I wonder if that's the reason the guy sold his camera on ebay.

    Thanks.

    Angel

    Angel, Oct 15, 2003

  7. The manual for the Finepix 2650 (found at http://tinyurl.com/r1rd )
    *recommends* either alkaline or NiMH. If your camera doesn't work with NiMH,
    then it's most likely that you have either one or more bad batteries, or
    your camera is defective.

    HMc

    Howard McCollister, Oct 15, 2003
  8. Angel

    Bill Guest

    Hi,
    Two things come to mind.........
    First, have you tried some brand new fresh alkaline batteries? If the camera
    is OK, they should at least power it up and run it for a while.
    Second, How old are the NiMH batteries that you have?Do you have another
    camera or device that you can test them on?
    If both of these check out, then I'd say the guy unloaded a bad camera on
    E-bay!
    Good luck.
    Bill

    Bill, Oct 15, 2003
  9. Angel

    Canopus Guest

    Before you try anything else try cleaning the contacts either end of the
    batteries and if possible the battery contacts inside the battery
    compartment. You may nee cotton buds and isopropyl alcohol for that. Even
    putting your fingers on either contact can degrade the circuit markedly.

    Rob

    Canopus, Oct 15, 2003
  10. Alkaline batteries start life at 1.5V but very quickly drop to lower
    voltages. NiMh batteries maintain 1.2V until they are flat. The stated
    voltage is just a nominal figure for practical purposes.
    When alkalines appear to be flat in a camera you can take them out and
    they will run a clock radio for months! Alkalines are best suited to low
    current drain devices, NiMh are best for high current drain devices. The
    flip side is NiMh go flat over a period of time even if you dont use
    them, whereas Alaklines are best to have around if you only take a shot
    or two every few weeks.

    Kirks Camera Supply, Oct 16, 2003