    but they're anxious to get the wireless back up so if that DSL
    wireless modem/router combo would work for this, that would be great.
    Anyone else been down this path before? TIA

    jcage, Aug 31, 2010

  2. jcage

    Brian Cryer Guest

    The DSL modem expects a phone connection, and you no longer have one.

    However, I don't see any reason why you can't use it. Your old DSL router
    can be used as a switch/hub and you can chain hubs & switches together -
    simply plug a network cable in a port on both your new and old routers.
    (There is a limit to how many switches & hubs can be chained together in
    this manner, but you won't hit that limit at home.)

    Gotchas to be aware of:

    1. You'll probably get away with a normal network cable, but its possible
    that you might need a crossover cable. If in doubt go out and buy a
    crossover cable. Many switches are auto-sensing and should automatically
    adjust to you plugging one switch into another, but if both of your routers
    aren't that clever then you'll need a cross-over cable.

    2. Both your new and old routers will no doubt have DHCP enabled. This is
    what gives out IP addresses to each of the devices/computers in your
    network. You will only want DHCP enabled on one, so I'd suggest logging into
    the old DSL router and disabling its DHCP.

    3. Your IP address range for the cable router might be different from the IP
    address range for the DSL router. (Say 192.168.1.* and 192.168.0.*.) Or you
    might find that both routers want to use the same IP address. Again, I'd
    connect to the old DSL router and somewhere in its configuration you should
    be able to change the IP address that it is using.

    So, yes you should be able to do it, but it could be fiddly to get all the
    configuration done - although fine after that.

    Hope this helps.

    Brian Cryer, Sep 1, 2010