Using "Parental Controls" kills all Internet access?

Discussion in 'Broadband Hardware' started by TomYoung, Oct 25, 2006.

  1. TomYoung

    TomYoung Guest

    Hi all:

    I've tried this twice now, and both times the result's been the same...

    Fire up the browser and log into the router.
    Select "Parental Controls"
    Select "Web Filtering"
    Put in the local IP address of the computer to which the blocking will
    apply.
    Make sure the default for unspecified domains (i.e., non-blocked sites)
    is "Permit"
    Type in the name of the site to be blocked and click "Add"

    After doing this and getting back on the Internet the block seems to
    work. But, after 1 or 2 page changes the block appears to stop
    functioning, and after 1 or 2 more page changes I can't go *anywhere*
    through the browser: no web site is available, not even the router
    itself. Email doesn't work, a command-line ping won't work, and other
    computers on the network are similarly affected. It's as if I've
    turned off the power to the router.

    My only way out of this is to power down everything, at which point I
    can get back to the router and eliminate all site blocking.

    This is a Microsoft Broadband Networking Wireless Base Station | MN-700
    and the site I'm trying to block is contentlink.com, if that's at all
    relevant.

    Any thoughts on what the problem is?

    TIA

    Tom Young

    TomYoung, Oct 25, 2006

  2. TomYoung

    Chris H. Guest

    I found the blocking through the router "iffy" like you've experienced, Tom,
    but you might try blocking the site(s) using the controls available in
    Internet Explorer as outlined in this step-by-step Knowledge Base article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310401/en-us Make sure the person you're
    attempting to keep from the sites is running in a Limited User account so
    they can't change the settings, and password the Administrator account (and
    your account) on that computer.

    Chris H., Oct 26, 2006

  3. TomYoung

    TomYoung Guest

    I guess this a firmware problem? Never to be fixed? It looks like
    Microsoft has abandoned the product.

    Thanks.

    TomYoung, Oct 26, 2006
  4. TomYoung

    Chris H. Guest

    Microsoft quit making the Broadband Networking hardware well over a year
    ago, and the unit at Microsoft has been disbanded, so I believe there won't
    be any firmware updates forthcoming.

    Chris H., Oct 26, 2006