    Thanks,

    Deguza
    (Post your replies here. Hotmail may block your e-mails.)

    Kompu Kid, Jul 31, 2004

  2. Kompu Kid

    jp10558 Guest

    jp10558, Jul 31, 2004

  3. What is the version number of ZoneAlarm being used? I have ZoneAlarm
    version4.5.594.000 that works flawlessly with Opera version 7.53 currently
    on WindowsXP Home.

    Trevor and Michelle Gough, Jul 31, 2004
  4. Kompu Kid

    Sonic Guest

    You are joking right? I've been using ZA for ages, and it's solid as as
    rock.

    Sonic, Jul 31, 2004
  5. To be honest, I'm using Zonealarm 5.1.0 (latest version), and have
    been using various versions for a good few years now, and I haven't
    had any problems at all regarding Opera. Are you sure you've given
    it full access to the net?

    Ant :)

    Antonio Remedios, Jul 31, 2004
  6. Kompu Kid

    jp10558 Guest

    jp10558, Jul 31, 2004
  7. Kompu Kid

    raj Guest

    I have recently started using ZoneAlarm and the Opera browser
    Versions 5.0s have severe problems. Use 4.5 or use 5.1 (that came out
    a few days ago). Thanks.

    ---raj

    raj, Jul 31, 2004
  8. Kompu Kid

    Casey Guest

    You might want to try Sygate firewall. I have been using
    Opera and Sygate together back through many earlier versions
    of each. Not one problem have I had.
    http://soho.sygate.com/free/default.php
    Casey

    Casey, Jul 31, 2004
  9. Kompu Kid

    Kerodo Guest

    Or for that matter Kerio. I've been trying the latest Kerio 4.1 betas
    and Kerio now has stateful inspection for all protocols and in the next
    beta they're finally adding good logging. There are still bugs, but
    it's shaping up nicely. So far, no problems here...

    Sygate is very good, I actually purchased the Pro version myself, but
    the main advantage ZA has over it is the stateful inspection. But to
    get that, you also have to put up with the bloat of unwanted "features"
    as well.

    Kerodo, Jul 31, 2004
  10. Kompu Kid

    Casey Guest

    Sygate has Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI).

    Quoted from Sygate FAQ:
    Q-- Does Sygate Personal Firewall do Stateful Packet Inspection?
    A-- Yes, Sygate® Personal Firewall does Stateful Packet Inspection
    on every Remote TCP connection. Sygate® Personal Firewall also
    uses an algorithm to check Remote UDP and DHCP traffic to make
    sure that the communication is secure.
    Unquote
    http://forums.sygate.com/vb/showthread.php?s=7e70845e3330c7f26ab2a2c7fd0245c0&threadid=52

    Casey, Jul 31, 2004
  11. Kompu Kid

    Kerodo Guest

    That's news to me! Interesting.. Although I notice that it says SPI on
    TCP connections only. But that's good then..

    Kerodo, Jul 31, 2004
  12. Kompu Kid

    Casey Guest

    I'm certainly no "knowledge whiz" when it comes to protocols but
    I believe it would destroy the usefulness of UDP and ICMP if you
    tried to SPI them <G>.
    Casey

    Casey, Jul 31, 2004
  13. Kompu Kid

    Kerodo Guest

    I know next to nothing about the subject, but I believe Kerio SPI's UDP
    and ICMP now, and I'm pretty sure ZA does too. I used to get random
    "garbage" packets from my DNS servers (UPD) with Sygate, but with ZA and
    Kerio I don't. Perhaps that's why?

    Kerodo, Aug 1, 2004
  14. Kompu Kid

    Peter Guidry Guest

    Zone Alarm 5 was the worst piece of SW I ever installed on my system,
    it would eventually freeze up my system forcing a reboot. Especially
    when using bit torrent.

    I have gone to Sygate Personal firewall. Much better.

    Peter Guidry, Aug 1, 2004
  15. Kompu Kid

    Kompu Kid Guest

    I am using ZoneAlarm 5.1.011.000, in other words the latest.

    I am on W2K with the latest patches and servicepacks.

    I have Opera 7.53.

    Thanks!

    Deguza

    Kompu Kid, Aug 1, 2004
  16. Kompu Kid

    Casey Guest

    I solved that with an advanced rule:
    Allow, UDP, remote port 53, in/out, to my ISP primary dns IP and
    secondary dns IP. At tools/options/security smart dns is not
    enabled.
    Casey

    Casey, Aug 1, 2004
  17. Kompu Kid

    Kerodo Guest

    Yep, that's what I did in Sygate also. Exactly, except I also specified
    Services.Exe as the program effected too, to tighten it up ever further.
    That way Sygate will only allow DNS traffic initiated by your machine
    and no other garbage. At least it's Services.Exe in Win2k. Might be
    Svchost.Exe in XP. Not sure...

    Kerodo, Aug 1, 2004
  18. Kompu Kid

    Kerodo Guest

    Casey, just another note about that. You'll know when you've got your DNS
    tightened up good when you stop seeing outbound ICMP type 3 to your DNS
    servers in your Sygate logs. Watch for that. When it's gone, then you're
    all set. Try adding Services.Exe or Svchost.Exe (XP) to the effected apps
    in your DNS rule. Should do the trick.

    Kerodo, Aug 1, 2004
  19. Kompu Kid

    Casey Guest

    #

    Casey, Aug 1, 2004
  20. Kompu Kid

    raj Guest

    Zone Alarm 5 was the worst piece of SW I ever installed on my system,
    You are so right! Going back to stable v4.5 helps! Thanks.

    ---raj

    raj, Aug 5, 2004