    player with surround (£70) so easily replaced.

    Do Dvd players have two lasers like PS2 one for CD's and one for DVD's.

    Any advice please

    Nick, Sep 6, 2004

  2. It's the same red laser used on both. DVD machines are used as CD
    players all the time, it's a common thing. Unless one wants to get a
    superDuper dedicated CD player with lots of bells and whistles such as
    separate power supplies for each channel, having a DVD player in your
    equipment rack means there is absolutely no need to also have a
    separate CD player.

    ... Steve .

    Steve(JazzHunter), Sep 6, 2004

  3. Ah not necessarily. If the player is able to play audio CD-R disks then it
    must be dual laser. The orange/red laser used for DVDs does not reflect
    from CD-R disks. Early DVD video players lacked this facility so were
    restricted to playing CD and CD-RW (possibly) disks.

    Also, the audio circuits in DVD players are seldom as good as in a dedicated
    CD player, but if you use the digital output to feed a separate amp then it
    doesn't matter as you don't use 'em.

    Ian.

    Electric Fan Club, Sep 9, 2004
  4. Do Dvd players have two lasers like PS2 one for CD's and one for DVD's.
    Not always.

    Quite a few modern DVD players produced today use a dual laser/single lens
    pickup to facilitate more reliable reading of CDs and DVDs, including
    recordable and rewritable media. Only older generation DVD players typically
    employ one red laser. DVD players today that claim CD-R and CD-RW
    compatibility will most likely have a red laser and an infrared laser contained
    within a single pickup assembly.
    For videogame consoles, the PS-2 for both Sony and Sanyo pickup versions, and
    the X-Box with the Philips and Samsung drives also use a dual laser/single lens
    configuration. The Thomson drive used in the X-Box still employs a single
    laser configuration. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Sep 9, 2004