?Using command prompt like 'xcopy'?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Bucky Breeder, Apr 7, 2004.

  1. When I use the Windows command prompt in WinXP, I xcopy some
    big files from my hard drive to a removable drive I use [for
    example]:

    D:\>xcopy Stuff_2004.04.07\*.* G:\Stuff_2004.04.07\*.*

    (So, I download all my little treats and tid-bits and articles
    each day to a folder on D:\ drive, then later I cull through
    and select the 'keepers' and then transfer the stuff to a
    removable G:\ drive.)

    Anyways, the question I was wondering about is how can I
    "cut" the files and "paste" to G, rather than "xcopy": without
    doing the whole xcopy and then go back and erase the old files
    once I've verified that they've made it to the new drive
    uncorrupted? I've done it so many times and never really lost
    a file in the transfer, so it seems safe enough to just cut
    them there from now on.

    Are there a simple list of commands somewhere that I can
    reference for just moving files around from drive to drive
    using the command prompt interface?

    (I really don't want to get a program or file manager to do
    this if I can simply get some 'old-school' practice using the
    Windows command prompt, etc. ;oÞ~ )

    Thanks in advance for any insights and assistance on this.

    Bucky Breeder, Apr 7, 2004

  2. Bucky Breeder

    Palindrome Guest

    Erm, the "move" command? use move /? for switch info.

    Palindrome, Apr 7, 2004

  3. Bucky Breeder wrote:

    Thanks! I'll sure give it a try.

    (Even though it makes sense, I would have *never* guessed
    "move.")

    (-:

    Bucky Breeder, Apr 8, 2004
  4. Bucky Breeder

    Willard Guest

    Willard, Apr 8, 2004
  5. Bucky Breeder

    JabberSmith Guest

    Also note, for repetitive tasks done at the command line, consider making a
    "batch" file.

    It's basically a text file with the commands in it (just as you would type
    them) named .bat or .cmd.

    Click on it and it runs.

    VERY useful for a variety of tasks, and quite often much faster than the
    Windows GUI.

    JabberSmith, Apr 8, 2004